It's hot . He's going to take off his clothes.

benissa55

Spanish and catalan
Hi everyone. Could anybody help me translate this sentence correctly into italian:

It's hot . He's going to take off his clothes.

Fa caldo. Lui va a togliersi i suoi indumenti (this is my try in italian)

I really think that my try is quiet correct, but i'm not sure 100 % about the verbal tense that i've just used in italian (lui va a = he's going to) .
I'm looking forward to your answers. Thank you very much.

• Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi Benissa :)
    Not a native either (hi JFV :)) but I'd say '...fa caldo. Si toglierà i vestiti...' but it still sounds odd somehow :(. Right, think we'd better wait for the "real" natives to chime in here :)

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Ciao,
    Perhaps a slightly more natural rendition could be ...fa caldo. Si sta per spogliare / spoglierà, but whatever tense you use it still sounds odd. But maybe also the OT sounds odd.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Here's a context. My son when he was very little used to run around the house with no clothes on shouting "I'm naked boy!". I can imagine saying to my wife, "Watch, it's hot. He's going to take of his clothes." I was also thinking like KC using ...si sta per...

benissa55

Spanish and catalan
    Thank you all for your answers, I think that after reading all your comments "stare per + infinitive " can be the same thing as "going to + infinitive " in English.

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
    Thank you all for your answers, I think that after reading all your comments "stare per + infinitive " can be the same thing as "going to + infinitive " in English.
    I think you're right, their meanings definitely overlap, but from what I understand, I would not equate them with each other as a general rule.

'to be going to' is considered a genuine future tense in English.

< Previous | Next >