its impatience was in the opposite direction

Anya Smitty

Chinese
Francesca turned her attention to her brother’s end of the table. Henry Greech had willingly availed himself of the invitation to leave the subject of married life, and had launched forthwith into the equally well-worn theme of current politics. He was not a person who was in much demand for public meetings, and the House showed no great impatience to hear his views on the topics of the moment; its impatience, indeed, was manifested rather in the opposite direction.

Could anyone paraphrase the bold part?
Source: The Unbearable Bassington by Saki, chapter 4

• Liam Lew's

My try:
    The previous part of the paragraph tells us that Henry was not much in demand for public meetings and that the audience wasn't very curious about his views on the topics. There was no impatience.

The bold phrase tells us that that the impatience of the audience was not in the direction explained in the previous part of the sentence but in the opposite direction. That means that the audience wanted to go on more quickly and finish at last. The audience had not much patience to continue hearing Henry's views on the topic.

I hope my explanation is clear and helps.

Last edited:

Anya Smitty

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your explanation!
    My try:
    The previous part of the paragraph tells us that Henry was not much in demand for public meetings and that the audience wasn't very curious about his views on the topics. There was no impatience.

The bold phrase tells us that that the impatience of the audience was not in the direction explained in the previous part of the sentence but in the opposite direction. That means that the audience wanted to go on more quickly and finish at last. The audience had not much patience to continue hearing Henry's views on the topic.

I hope my explanation is clear and helps.

< Previous | Next >