it's just not been vs. it is just not

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
“He and my mom had a relationship and they were in love at the time, and they had me out of that relationship, but I never received any of that love at an age I could remember it. I have so few memories of him, I’ve met him so few times, it’s just not been what I had hoped for.”---taken from The New York Times
Dear all,

The above is what a young man said about his relaionships with his fateher. I am wondering whether I can use it is just not to substitute it's just not been and its meaning won't change? Thanks.

LQZ

• Llohr

English - American Midwest
    Actually, the it's used there is not an abbreviation for it is, but for it has. You could thus substitute "It has just not" for "it's just not."

wonderwhy

Banned
    English - NaE
    Dear all,

The above is what a young man said about his relationship with his father. I am wondering whether I can use it is just not to substitute it's just not been and its meaning won't change? Thanks.

LQZ
    You can use either, LQZ and the meaning won't change. It's just a different time focus for the speaker.

The first "it's not been" [as Llorh mentioned it's "It has not been"] focuses on the span of his life;

"Over my lifetime to now, it has not been what I had hoped for"

The second, "it is not what I had hoped for" says "this state/condition/routine of father-son relationship is not what I had hoped for".

BellaDancer

Dear all,

The above is what a young man said about his relaionships with his fateher. I am wondering whether I can use it is just not to substitute it's just not been and its meaning won't change? Thanks.

LQZ
    In it's just not been, it's is a contraction if it has, not it is. So, it has just not been ...."

You could also say it just has not been.

< Previous | Next >