It's not that.... (It's just)

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hello members!

When we are using "It's not that....", do I have to say "It's just....." after the sentence?
Like, would you say:
1. It's not that I don't like white people. You tend to hang out with people of the same race.

Or would you say:
2. 1. It's not that I don't like white people. It's just you tend to hang out with people of the same race.

Have you heard of people use it without it?
Is that wrong? Or is it acceptable?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • AlabamaBoy

American English
    It's not that I.... You I just / It's just that I...
    Hmm. That may be confusing.

It's not that I don't like white people. It's just [that] you tend to hang out with people of your own race.:tick: (This is an impersonal you.) Meaning: It is just that one tends to hang out with people of one's own race.

I think that in this case, the sentence could be confusing without "It's just."

It's not that I don't like white people. [It's just that] One tends to hang out with people of one's own race.
    (In this case, you could possibly get by without the "It's just that" because it would be implied.

I would suggest that you don't try to use implied words unless you are sure that your sentence are going to be clearly understood.

Last edited:

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    Sorry. I still don't quite understand.
    First, is 'your' better than 'the' same race?
    Second, if I don't use 'it's just that', why would it be confusing, would the 'you' be understood us, you, the person I'm talking to? :confused:

Please explain.

< Previous | Next >