It's pretty accurate we're not doing Jaws here Ok

< Previous | Next >

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

I am confused about the meaning of "It's pretty accurate we're not doing Jaws here Ok" in the following context. Does it mean "It's good enough and we'll put Jaws aside/and we won't mind the teeth in the dolphin's jaws?
And I would understate these cone teeth, you know even if they are really big, you don't want to have it overwhelm your entire painting.So here we go. They do have a lot of teeth and you could probably paint all the teeth I'm just going to kind of indicate them here. It's pretty accurate we're not doing Jaws here Ok.
(The content above is about how to paint the teeth of a dolphin. It's quoted from a documentary Wyland's Art Studio)

Thanks very much!

• Chez

English English
    As he's speaking while painting it could be that he's chosen an inappropriate word here (it happens if you're doing two things at once). He may have meant, it's pretty clear/obvious we're not doing Jaws here.

Or he may have meant 'the way I've indicated the teeth is pretty accurate; we're not trying to draw Jaws (the shark) here.

There's no way to be certain. Even if I could view the film, I doubt if it would be clear. It's obviously chat/comment while he's working, which may not end up completely logical.

Language Hound

American English
    "Jaws" is a reference to the 1975 Steven Spielberg blockbuster movie about sharks attacking people swimming in the ocean.
    Click here to learn more and see the poster showing plenty of shark teeth.
    So, basically, the person is saying that they're not painting teeth that would look like the poster for Jaws or would look like the (shark) teeth you see in the movie. In other words, you don't paint dolphin teeth the way you would paint shark teeth.

I assume the statement is spoken spontaneously in the documentary and not scripted.
    If I were writing that thought or had time to think before speaking it, I would probably express it as:
    I think it's/it would be pretty accurate to say that we're not doing Jaws here, okay?

Cross-posted.

Language Hound

American English
    For me, the OP means what LH says, except that I'd probably say" I think it's pretty clear/obvious we're not doing Jaws here."
    Actually, I prefer yours to mine--if that is what is meant.
    After reading Joan's "It's pretty accurate. (it's good enough). We're not doing Jaws here," I'm not really sure.
    We need more context.
    And I would understate these cone teeth, you know even if they are really big, you don't want to have it overwhelm your entire painting.So here we go. They do have a lot of teeth and you could probably paint all the teeth I'm just going to kind of indicate them here. It's pretty accurate we're not doing Jaws here Ok.
    Flowersophy,
    when the person says the above lines, which are very poorly punctuated, is he looking at and commenting on a painting?
    If so, It's ( = the painting, the depiction of the teeth)pretty accurate. We're not doing Jaws here, OK/okay?
    (Or: We're not doing Jaws here. OK/Okay?)

If not, It's pretty clear we're not doing Jaws here...

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    I am sorry that the lines I quoted are really poorly punctuated. Because of my limited English, I didn't understand the lines and didn't know how to punctuate them yesterday. But now I am inspired by all the answers offered by you all. Thanks very much!!

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    It's pretty accurate. (it's good enough). We're not doing Jaws here.
    That's the way I read it.

Based on other posts flowersophy has made about this documentary, I think what she's quoting is running commentary by the artist as he paints a picture of a dolphin.

< Previous | Next >