it's pride"r" or "more pride"??

< Previous | Next >

Ethaun

Chile - Español
Hi! a need someone who can give some aids about that little doubt and i'd like to be clear about it. ... :confused: It's PRIDER OR MORE PRIDE??:confused: . the contex is irrelevant, because i found that word alone.:eek:
It's my first time in this forum, so i hope to be useful too :D
thank U very much.

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Ethaun said:
    Hi! a need someone who can give some aids about that little doubt and i'd like to be clear about it. ... :confused: It's PRIDER OR MORE PRIDE??:confused: . the contex is irrelevant, because i found that word alone.:eek:
    thank U very much.
    Firstly, context is NEVER irrelevant. It always helps. In fact, context here would have been a help.
    Secondly, ¡bienvenid@ al foro! :p

Pride is a noun. :arrow:

"He has too much pride to come over and apoligize."
    "You need to have more pride if you want to play our game."

Proud is an adjective. :arrow:

"He's too proud to come over and apologize."
    "You need to be prouder if you want to play our game."

¿Está claro?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Ethaun said:
    thank U very much.

Hi Ethaun!! I think you want to say "proud" (orgulloso) or is it "pride" (orgullo).
    If it is proud the comparative is "prouder" and the superlative "proudest"

suzzzenn

USA English
    I have heard people use "prider" as a slang term for someone who is proud of something.

Someone who attends a gay pride march = gay prider

I did an internet search and found this site which mentions car priders (or people who are proud of their cars... I found this very amusing!)

:) http://www.geocities.com/car_pride/duster.html

There were several references to a rock formation in Western Australia. The moral is, context is always important!

Ethaun

Chile - Español
    VenusEnvy,suzzzenn, Artrella thank U very much!!! I know Context is important, but I found that word alone, with any context, b'cos it was in a Friend's post.

But... now that i'm thinkin' humm... it says: "STRAIGHTEDGE MORE PRIDE THAN EVER!!!" :eek: hehehee... But really i don't know if its right.

Thank You very much again!!!!:D

JitterJive

USA English
    I have heard people use "prider" as a slang term for someone who is proud of something.

Someone who attends a gay pride march = gay prider
    Here are some other examples of what you are refering to:

She's a real go-getter.
    He's a do-it-yourselfer.
    That house is a fixer-uper.
    She's a looker.

By adding "er" to the end of the word, you are assigning a quality to someone or something. For instnace, "He's a do-it-yourself." says that this person likes to do things (such as fixing things) himself. "A gay prider" would be understood to refer to someone who supports gay pride.

However, the parctice of adding "er" to the end of a word in order to assign that quality to something has a very narrow usage. In other words, "prider" in any other context would not be correct.

Wrong - I'm prider of my son more than ever.
    Right - I'm prouder of my son more than ever.

Refer back to VenusEnvy's reply for the grammatical explanation.

jess oh seven

UK/US English
    pride = noun
    proud = adjective

so, you can have more pride (just like you can have more apples or more hair).

i am very proud of my son. i am more proud of my son than my husband is. i am prouder of my son than my husband.

< Previous | Next >