It's quite a stretch?

< Previous | Next >

DerPilz

Hi,

Someone who's was put into a scarecrow the scarecrow was burned (as a part of the solstice festival) but nobody knew that someone was inside the it.

His friend stuck up for him saying:

It's quite a stretch to say that he was showing off.

What does the bold part mean?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't understand your context at all. Surely someone burnt inside a scarecrow would be dead?

"It's quite a stretch to say...", generally introduces a statement that is not really supported by the facts or by what has been said before.

Matching Mole

England, English
    In this context "a stretch" is usually short for "a stretch of the imagination" (or similar). It means that it is implausible to say that he was doing it to show off. Perhaps you might imagine having to physically stretch to reach something but it is is too far away: in the same way one would have to "stretch" the imagination (perhaps further than is possible) to "reach" or accept such an idea.

Last edited:

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    The story (about some being "inside a scarecrow" and then being burned to death with the scarecrow) sounds like "quite a stretch," i.e., and exaggeration or even a complete falsehood, but I don't understand "to say that he was showing off."

DerPilz

Thank you all, it makes sens now. His dead friend was accused of getting inside the scarecrow just for the fun of it and showing off, but he said he would never do such a thing.

< Previous | Next >