It's raining and I don't/didn't bring my umbrella.

< Previous | Next >

Saul Sayers

Indonesian
It's raining and i don't bring my umbrella
Or
It is raining and i didn't bring my umbrella

Last edited:
  • GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Welcome to the forum, Saul.

You may wish to contact a moderator to correct your incorrect title to this thread.

Note that "I" is ALWAYS capitalized. This is not an option, and writing the first person singular pronoun as "i" is lazy, sloppy, and invariably wrong.

While I believe I may know what you are asking, could you clarify exactly what your question is?

Saul Sayers

Indonesian
    Welcome to the forum, Saul.

You may wish to contact a moderator to correct your incorrect title to this thread.

Note that "I" is ALWAYS capitalized. This is not an option, and writing the first person singular pronoun as "I" is lazy, sloppy, and invariably wrong.

While I believe I may know what you are asking, could you clarify exactly what your question is?
    Sorry, I wrote it in a rush due to being in class. What I meant was that if I am in a situation where it is CURRENTLY raining, should i use " it is raining and i didn't bring my wallet" or "it is raining while i don't bring my wallet"? I chose the former and my friends chose the latter.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You have to say it this way.
    It's raining, and I haven't brought my umbrella.
    Yes, that's probably the most usual way to say it in BE. I think that in AE (as Redwood says) "I didn't bring" is also appropriate - or perhaps it's preferred.

"I don't bring my umbrella" suggests that I am in the habit of not bringing my umbrella.

Saul Sayers

Indonesian
    Yes, that's probably the most usual way to say it in BE. I think that in AE (as Redwood says) "I didn't bring" is also appropriate - or perhaps it's preferred.

"I don't bring my umbrella" suggests that I am in the habit of not bringing my umbrella.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't " i haven't brought my umbrella" means i didnt bring it yet, but i will be later? But what if the rain is predicted to have stopped not long after i said that sentence so i won't need my umbrella afterwards and just saying that i did not bring it and will not bring it?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    As a speaker of BE, this is how I would rationalise my choice of tenses. It's a question of whether I am focusing on what is happening now or what I did in the past - even the recent past, like "earlier this morning":

It's raining (therefore I need my umbrella - possession of an umbrella is at present relevant to me). I haven't brought my umbrella today - what a nuisance! I'm going to get wet now.

It's raining
    (What a nuisance! I brought my umbrella with me yesterday and the day before, but it didn't rain then). I didn't bring my umbrella today because I was sure it was going to be fine. (I am focusing on things that belong to the past: my negligence earlier this morning, and my reasons for not bringing the umbrella.)

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    No. "I haven't brought my umbrella" doesn't necessarily imply that I will bring it later.
    Just mentioning that "I haven't brought my umbrella" sounds very British. It's perfectly correct of course, but AE speakers would be more likely to say "I didn't bring my umbrella." They mean the same thing.

"I don't bring my umbrella" would only work for something you habitually do. I don't bring my umbrella to school because I always forget it.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Note that "I" is ALWAYS capitalized. This is not an option, and writing the first person singular pronoun as "i" is lazy, sloppy, and invariably wrong.
    Sorry, I wrote it in a rush due to being in class. What I meant was that if I am in a situation where it is CURRENTLY raining, should i use " it is raining and i didn't bring my wallet" or "it is raining while i don't bring my wallet"? I chose the former and my friends chose the latter.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't " i haven't brought my umbrella" means i didnt bring it yet, but i will be later? But what if the rain is predicted to have stopped not long after i said that sentence so i won't need my umbrella afterwards and just saying that i did not bring it and will not bring it?
    I have corrected you, as requested, where you were wrong. Eight separate times, after politely apologizing, you used i instead of I.

< Previous | Next >