It's shame I have just discovered this musician.

Kolridg

Russian
I just want to get confirmation from native-speaker that the next sentence sounds correctly with both "just" and "only just".

It's shame I have just discovered this musician. This music is so amazing.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Without the “a” it sounds totally antiquated (as in the title of the famous 17th-century play ’Tis Pity She’s a Whore).

It's [a] shame I have just discovered this musician. :tick: :thumbsdown:
    It's a shame I’ve only just discovered this musician.
    :tick: :thumbsup:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Definitely "only just". And now that you've mentioned the musician, it would make more sense to talk about his or her music.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Whether "only just" sounds right to a native speaker depends on where the native speaker comes from. To me, it sounds like saying "only only" or "just just".

lingobingo

English - England
    Saying “only just” (which three of us have advocated above) often has the same nuance as saying that something has “only now” happened — that is, with the emphasis on the fact that it did not happen until now, and with an implication that it could reasonably have been expected to happen before now.

Kolridg

Russian
    Good words, thanks. I'm trying to find out with Hildy1 if he (or she) recognises this implication and emphasis you have just said about from context, since Hildy said us that at place of his origin (or residence) they don't use "just" with "only". I hope now Hildy will understand my question much better.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I guess you must understand the degree of "just" from context then?
    For people like me who don't use "only just", these are possible forms:
    - I have just discovered this musician.
    - I (have) just discovered this musician recently.
    - I have only recently discovered this musician.
    - I have just now discovered this musician.
    - I have only now discovered this musician.

< Previous | Next >