...its stability and mobility is controlled by inactive structures

< Previous | Next >

cigogne

Persian
Hi,

Is the underlined part the correct and meaningful sequence in my sentence below?

"The cervical spine is a very complex structure and its stability and mobility is controlled by inactive structures, such as joints and ligaments, and more often by neuromuscular control."

Thanks!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Stability" and "mobility" appear to be different things to me, which would require "are". However, I suppose you could regard them as two sides of the same thing, in which case "is" would be fine, but if they are two sides of the same thing, it might be clearer to just use one of the two words. Apart from that, it is fine.

"More often" appears to be wrong. More often than what?

cigogne

Persian
    "Stability" and "mobility" appear to be different things to me, which would require "are". However, I suppose you could regard them as two sides of the same thing, in which case "is" would be fine, but if they are two sides of the same thing, it might be clearer to just use one of the two words. Apart from that, it is fine.

"More often" appears to be wrong. More often than what?
    You are right. They are different things and I need to use "are".

I want to say that they are more often controlled by neuromuscular controller than joints and ligaments.

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >