It's such a fantastic feeling that/if/when/because somebody does something...

< Previous | Next >

Ryovzx09

Mandarin-China
Hi,

In the following fill-in-the-blank sentence:
"To have a successful solo show is a long-cherished dream of mine," he said, "It's such a fantastic feeling that/if/when/because somebody buys your paintings and you know the paintings are sitting somewhere in their houses."
I have put four different conjunctions where the blank is, and I've successfully puzzled myself as to which one isn't good enough to be used here.
As far as I understand, the clause after the blank can be either an imaginative scenario the author is thinking about, or a past experience the author has had. But I'm not sure if all of them make sense.
Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    Because the author is talking as though he has had this fantastic feeling before, "when" seems likelier to me than the other possibilities you mentioned.

Ryovzx09

Mandarin-China
    Because the author is talking as though he has had this fantastic feeling before, "when" seems likelier to me than the other possibilities you mentioned.
    How about 'That somebody buys your paintings... is such a fantastic feeling.'? Does this sentence sound odd to you?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "(The fact) that someone buys your paintings" isn't a feeling.

You get a good feeling when/if someone buys your paintings.

< Previous | Next >