It's supposed to storm soon (=it was in the weather forecast), but it hasn't started yet.

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

Would anyone know how to say the following sentence in Chinese? "It's supposed to storm soon (=it was in the weather forecast), but it hasn't started yet."
Would this be: "应该很快要下暴雨(天去预报说),可是还没开始"? (Does anything sound 别扭, or would you word it differently at all?)

Thanks! :)

• yuechu

Canada, English
    That's great. Thanks, Lekal! 😀
    Is 目前 a lot more formal than 现在? (Do they have the same meaning?)

27rabbit

Chinese
    Basically the same meaning, and you are right 目前 and 当下 are quite more formal than 现在.

We usually say: 我现在在饭店吃饭, but we won't say 我目前在饭店吃饭.

rickqin

Mandarin
    Basically the same meaning, and you are right 目前 and 当下 are quite more formal than 现在.

We usually say: 我现在在饭店吃饭, but we won't say 我目前在饭店吃饭.
    IMHO, 现在=now,目前=currently.
    They are interchangeable to some extent, yet have a subtle difference.
    Please refer to the following post that I found:
    In general, now refers to this very moment. Currently is a slightly more general word to describe the timeframe we are in. For example, "I am at your house now" versus "Currently I am learning English".

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I think that a storm without strong winds, but with heavy rain only, is not a storm. @yuechu, is it? If I understand it correctly, then 暴雨 may not be the best translation.

A storm can be 暴風雨 or 暴風雪. Assuming 暴風雨, then you can say, '氣象說今天會颳大風, 下大雨, 但外面好像?' Or '氣象說今天會有暴風雨, 但現在看起來好像還沒開始.'

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thank you all for your replies! :)

I think that a storm without strong winds, but with heavy rain only, is not a storm. @yuechu, is it?
    I've never thought about it! ... but I did just look it up, and both are possible. Storms can involve winds or not.