It's the only one I see for myself

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does it mean "(Anything else about me has been arranged for me) Only this one I decide independently"?

Thanks in advance

After Eric signed his name to the form that officially made him a U.S.Marine, the recruiter shook his hand, looked him in the eye, and said that he had made the right choice.

"It's the only one I see for myself, sir."Eric replied.

-Charles Duhigg
Smarter, Faster, Better

• Barque

Tamil
    He means "It's the only choice I see for myself". I can't see myself doing anything else.

He was responding to the recruiter's statement that he had made the right choice.

Barque

Tamil
    It refers to what he's thinking, or his "mind's eye".

It's the only thing I can imagine myself doing.
    It's the only thing I have in mind.

Edit - It's in the WR dictionary, as I expected.

see: to form a mental image of: [~ + object] I can't see him as president.[~ + object + verb-ing] I can't see him running things.

If you use the dictionary and look for a meaning that fits the context, you will generally find what you want.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    If you use the dictionary and look for a meaning that fits the context, you will generally find what you want.
    Yes, theoretically.

But lots of times, if not most of times, you would be inundated in "countless" definitions and examples.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes, theoretically.

But lots of times, if not most of times, you would be inundated in "countless" definitions and examples.
    That is why context is stressed so much in the forum - it is the logic of a situation that will help you evaluate the fit of any given definition. Often it takes a bit of thinking to check out each possible definition. (Usually, the shorter the word, the more thinking is needed:D)

< Previous | Next >