It's Up To You / Me / Him/Her / Us / Them

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This is a very simple expression. To say simply, "It's up to you," you mean that the choice to do something is yours. Here are some very simple examples.

1. Will we visit St. Petersburg? It's up to you.
2. Will Russia sever ties with America? It's up to Putin.
3. Tanya says, "If it were up to me, we would live in that nice flat by Pushkin Square." Yuri answers, "If it were up to me, I would buy that flat and kick you out of it."
4. The customer asks for a refund. The cashier answers, "That's not up to me, that would be up to the manager."

Как сказать по-русски?

• Q-cumber

Up to you - решай сам, это тебе решать, как ты скажешь (, так и будет), от тебя зависит (от твоего мнения), etc.

1, - Мы в Питер поедем? Мне всё равно, как ты скажешь...

2. Если бы это зависело от меня, мы бы жили в той классной квартире возле Пушкинской площади... Если бы я решал, я бы купил эту квартиру и выгнал тебя оттуда. :(

4. ... Это (с этим) не ко мне, это к менеджеру <colloquial>. / эти вопросы менеджер решает.

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    Решать/не решать.

1. Ты решай.
    2. Путин решает|решит.
    3. Если бы я решал(а)...
    4. Я не решаю, решает заведующий.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Это зави́сит от тебя/меня/его/её/нас/их

1. ... Это зависит от тебя.
    2. ... Это зависит от Путина.
    3. ... Если бы это зависело от меня...
    4. ... Это от меня не зависит, это зависит от менеджера.

Kalaus

Russian, Russia
    If you are looking for a universal expression that you could use in all four examples, I'm afraid there is none.

(1) "Как скажешь/скажете" works very well here, but may not work as well with anything other than "you".
    (2) I wouldn't go as far as saying "Путин решает" (lit. "it's Putin's decision" -- see Rosett's suggestion); rather, I would say "Это зависит от П." (i. e. "This depends on P's actions")
    (3) "If it were up to me..." -- "[Будь] моя воля,..." (Lit. "If I had my way...") seems like an appropriate colloquial phrase.
    (4) "That's not up to me..." -- in the given context, I would translate it as "[К сожалению,] это не от меня зависит."

< Previous | Next >