iuvenesco

< Previous | Next >

Michael Zwingli

English - American (U.S. - New England)
Just checking myself on something. I am of the opinion that the verb iuvenēscō cannot be translated "I rejuvenate", since "to rejuvenate" means "to make young/youthful", while iuvenēscō seems to mean "I become youthful/young again", which seems to imply more of a passive voice, perhaps as "I am rejuvenated". Am I on the right track with respect to this?

• Snodv

English - Mid-Southern US
    Interesting! But I wouldn't call it a sort of passive. The -sc- verbs are verbs of becoming (inchoatives) but there is not necessarily an agent acting on the object or person causing the becoming. Cf. adolesco, I am growing up, becoming a grownup, but no one is doing it to me. On the other hand, the perfect participle adultus certainly seems passive! (Side note: the conjugated forms of Italian capire look as if they came from inchoative forms. Capisco is "I understand," but was it once, as it evolved from Latin, "I am starting to grasp it"?)

Starless74

Italiano
    Originally it was so, yes. But the 'inchoative' meaning (in many irregular verbs with -sc- forms ) is lost nowadays.
    This is even more interesting when considering the Latin forms '-sco' derived from the homophonic Ancient Greek, where such verbal forms weren't necessarily 'incohative'. :)

Scholiast

Sorry, bearded, cognoscere is not a parallel with γιγνώσκω, it is con + noscere. The reduplication of γιγ- is common in Greek (cf. e.g. πίπτειν), and crops up in Latin too, especially in perfect stems (cano, cecini, do, dedi, tango, tetigi etc). And of course the (g)no[sc]- bit is common IE (German kennen, Engl. 'know'). Time to consult Ahlavj?

Σ

ahvalj

Yes, -sc- is the outcome of the common Indo-European verbal suffix: -skʲ-. Wiktionary forgets Hittite, where virtually any verb had a pair with the suffix -sk- expressing an imperfective meaning (with inchoative as one of the possibilities). The Latin and Greek verbs you're discussing are both inherited: *gʲn̥hₒ-skʲ- “to recognize”. Another common verb with this suffix is *pr̥kʲ-skʲ- “to ask”.

< Previous | Next >