I've come here for two hours

OnTheOtherHand

Chinese-Mandarin
The tense in English grammar has always been confusing to Asian leaners like me. What does the following sentences seperately mean ? I mean without context, what would a native speaker generally understand them, or under what scenario would it be proper to use them? Did I get them right?

1. I'm here for two hours. (my guess: I'm now here, and I will stay here for the next two hours.)
2. I've come here for two hours. (my guess: I've come here, and when I came, I intended to stay here for two hours. similar to sentence #3.)
3. I came here for two hours. (my guess: I came here some time ago, and when I came, I intended to stay here for two hours. )
4. I've been here for two hours. ( I can fully understand this sentence which means I came here two hours ago and I'm now still here. )
5. I've been coming here for two years. (my guess: I came here several times or a lot in the past two years)

Last edited:
  • reno33

English - USA
    I believe you have mastered these tenses. I can't see any error in your interpretation of them. But....
    you do have an error in question. #5

5. I've been coming here for two years. (my guess: I came here several times or a lot in the past last two years)
    Has to be either past.....or last.....both are correct....but not both together.

OnTheOtherHand

Chinese-Mandarin
    many thanks to reno33, it was a typo. I'll correct it now. But I'm still not sure about the 2nd and the 3rd sentence.

Last edited:

reno33

English - USA
    many thanks to reno33, it was a typo. I'll correct it now. But I'm still not sure about the 2nd and the 3rd sentence.
    What is it that confuses you about the 2nd and 3rd sentences?
    If it's the word "for", change "for" to "for a period of..." They both mean the same thing.

If it's the tense of the verbs (simple past/present perfect) they mean almost the same thing and context would determine which one is the better choice.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, OTOH, In #3:
    we'd almost certainly say when you had done this ("I came here for two hours a couple of years ago."):
    I'd say "I was here...";
    you not only intended to stay 'here' for two hours, but you did.
    Hope my two cents' worth helps.

< Previous | Next >