I've created a fungoid race and <I'm> exterminating infidels.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Арскригициониец, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Арскригициониец

Арскригициониец New Member

Russian
    Imagine that it's my blog and I'm writing:

I'm playing Stellaris now. I've created a fungoid race and I'm exterminating infidels.

Can I cut 1st and 2st I'm? To get like this:
    Playing Stellaris now. I've created a fungoid race and exterminating infidels.

2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    You can't cut the second one. Cutting the first one is permissible in very informal communications (of this kind).

3. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This sort of sentence is possible in diaries. People who make entries in diaries sometimes drop personal pronouns because they don't need to keep repeating the pronoun "I".

This doesn't make any sense. You can't randomly drop pronouns and verbs in normal sentences. You could write it this way: I have created a fungoid race and am exterminating infidels. I don't see any real advantage in doing this, however.

4. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    Agreed; you need a new verb.

5. Арскригициониец

Russian
    Why can I cut only 1st I'm? Is there any rules of Present Continuous in informal speech like this? Or cutting 2st I'm just makes that sentence inaccessible to understand?

6. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    The problem is that there's no implied verb before "exterminating infidels," since the prior verb ("have" in "I've") can't serve as the antecedent for "exterminating." The following would be fine (if it didn't change the meaning):

I've created a fungoid race and exterminated infidels.

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Why do you want to cut these normal pronouns and verbs out of your sentences? What are you trying to achieve by doing so?

8. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    The second "I'm" is preceded in the same sentence by "I've". You could possibly omit a second "I've" in the same sentence, but as it is you need at least to include the verb "am".

9. Арскригициониец

Russian
    Just it looks too formal in my native Russian language (if we always write pronouns) and these sentences seemed me also very formal in English. I want to bring some informality in my text.

10. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    Aside. Your use of 2st is not correct:

1st :tick:
    2st :cross:
    2nd :tick:

11. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    It really doesn't seem "too formal" in English. I have recently noticed an increasing tendencty to elide pronouns, especially the 1st person (I) in texts and PMs etc. but in most contexts we leave them in, especially if you are changing the verb.