I've forgotten a lot of what I did at the weekend

dannywales

Wales - English, Welsh
Ich habe eine Menge vergessen was ich habe am Wochende gemacht, aber ich versuche gedenken.

I was trying to say:

I've forgotten a lot of what I did at the weekend, but I'll try to remember.

But I'm not sure if the word order is right?

Thanks

• Ich habe eine Menge vergessen was ich habe am Wochende gemacht, aber ich versuche gedenken.

I was trying to say:

I've forgotten a lot of what I did at the weekend, but I'll try to remember.

But I'm not sure if the word order is right?

Thanks
    Ich habe eine Menge von dem vergessen, was ich am Wochende gemacht habe, aber ich versuche, mich daran zu erinnern.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Er meint die Bedeutung von "mich". The meaning is "myself".
    In diesem Fall trägt das kaum zu einem Verständnis der Struktur bei. :)

Man muss halt lernen, dass "to remember something" im Deutschen mithilfe eines Reflexivpronomens und einer Präposition wiedergegeben wird, und zwar heißt es "sich an etwas erinnern."

I remember that day.
    Ich erinnere mich an diesen Tag.

Dannywales, in English: "mich" is used here because the verb "to remember" is expressed in German using not only a verb but also a reflexive pronoun and a preposition (see my example above).

I may as well try to explain "von dem" in English as well: In English you say "a lot of what I did" but in German you can't just say "eine Menge von was ich gemacht habe." :cross: You need to use a pronoun and then a relative clause: "eine Menge von dem, was ich gemacht habe." A more literal, but less natural, English equivalent would be "a lot of that which I did." Hope that helps.

berndf

German (Germany)
    The literal meaning of erinnern is remind not remember. In German you say for "I remember x": "I exinnere mich an x" the literal translation of which would be "I remind myself of x". By now "Ich erinnere mich an x" is so idiomatic that no one would ever interpret it any other way that "I remember x" but the formal construct still corresponds to the literal meaning. Some native speaker, erroneously, nowadays use "I erinnere x" but this sounds awful.

< Previous | Next >