I've got a positive ID of/on

lapot

Hello. I've come across the following sentence in a TV Show. It's said by a man who is tracking down a woman. One day, he runs into her in LA, but cannot catch her. Then he says to another person:

"I've got a positive ID of Sara in Los Angeles."

Is there any difference between say that and this: "I've got a positive ID on Sara in Los Angeles."
I'd have used the former as well, but I can't figure out why. Any difference you can find between them?

Thanks in advance!

• ALEX1981X

Banned
    Italian
    Sorry guys

Does it mean that this person have found or knows her personal details ?? I didn't know the existence of - positive Id -

lapot

Hi. I think it's a pretty common expression in books or films about FBI, the mafia, etc. It's jargon.
    If somebody has a positive ID (identification) of somebody just mean he has seen/identified the person or has information about the person being seen at a specific location.

mplsray

Hello. I've come across the following sentence in a TV Show. It's said by a man who is tracking down a woman. One day, he runs into her in LA, but cannot catch her. Then he says to another person:

"I've got a positive ID of Sara in Los Angeles."

Is there any difference between say that and this: "I've got a positive ID on Sara in Los Angeles."
    I'd have used the former as well, but I can't figure out why. Any difference you can find between them?

Thanks in advance!
    "I have a positive ID of" Such-and-such sounds odd to me. A Google search of the Web and of Google Books verifies that it is much, much more common to hear "I have a positive ID on" Such-and-such. "I've got a positive ID of" is even rarer, with no examples found in Google Books.

< Previous | Next >