I've had the career that I've had [redundant?]

mulder6938

Korean
I see that there are many redundancies in real life conversation, which makes me hard to get the meaning of it .

"So, to say that I've had the career that I've had, obviously playing for some of the teams I've played for and now being an owner of a team here in the U.S., it's really exciting."

This is an excerpt from a talk show. Seems like there is redundancy in the sentence. ;(that I’ve had). And grammatically speaking, “it is really exciting” should is “is really exciting “ . Am I correct ?

Thus, the more text-book version of it is like :

So, to say that I've had the career,obviously playing for some of the teams I've played for and now being an owner of a team here in the U.S. is really exciting.

Or, So , it is really exciting to say that I've had the career,obviously playing for some of the teams I've played for and now being an owner of a team here in the U.S. is really exciting.

• Chez

English English
    You are right. Here is how I would reduce the redundancies in this statement.

To say that I've had the career I've had, playing for some of the teams I've played for and now being a team owner in the U.S, is really exciting."

mulder6938

Korean
    You are right. Here is how I would reduce the redundancies in this statement.

To say that I've had the career I've had, playing for some of the teams I've played for and now being a team owner in the U.S, is really exciting."
    Thanks for the reply, but is " I've had " redundant in your example above ?

Chez

English English
    No it isn't. It means:

I've had the (kind of) career I've had...

I also reduced 'an owner of a team' to 'a team owner'.

mulder6938

Korean
    No it isn't. It means:

I've had the (kind of) career I've had...

I also reduced 'an owner of a team' to 'a team owner'.
    .Thanks a lot. I thought , he said in the talk show " that i've had " twice .

I've had the career which(that ,or omission) I've had . "the career " is modified by " I've had . I now got this. Thanks .

Then, the original sentence is not that redundant .

kentix

English - U.S.
    The second "I've had" is necessary because it completes a description and both parts are needed.

It doesn't have to be "I've had" but it has to be something.

I've had the career that I've had
    I've had the career that I dreamed of
    I've had the career that I thought was possible

mulder6938

Korean
    The second "I've had" is necessary because it completes a description and both parts are needed.

It doesn't have to be "I've had" but it has to be something.

I've had the career that I've had
    I've had the career that I dreamed of
    I've had the career that I thought was possible
    Thank you for clearing . I got this

< Previous | Next >