I've never seen you wear yellow

Brigitte_anna

Russian
Let's suppose I meet my friend and she's wearing a yellow dress. I have never seen her in yellow clothing. Are both the following phrases correct?

I've never seen you wear yellow.
I've never seen you wearing yellow.

Is there any difference in meaning?

• riyanswat

Pashto
    Let's suppose I meet my friend and she's wearing a yellow dress. I have never seen her in yellow clothing. Are both the following phrases correct?

The first sentence 'I've never seen you wear yellow' means that you have never seen him wear yellow at all.

The second sentence 'I've never seen you wearing' means that he probably wears yellow but you have never seen him in the process of wearing yellow.

Andygc

British English
    The first sentence 'I've never seen you wear yellow' means that you have never seen him wear yellow at all.

The second sentence 'I've never seen you wearing' means that he probably wears yellow but you have never seen him in the process of wearing yellow
    That is, quite simply, not so. There is no difference in meaning.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The first version is what I would expect to hear if it was a reference to their state of mind. If I was under the impression they consciously avoid wearing yellow, ever, that's what I would say. It seems like a statement of a habit (or a negative habit).

The second one does not. It seems like more of a simple observation. I haven't known you long perhaps and haven't observed you wearing yellow before. I would use the first one with someone I'd known a long time and formed that opinion about.

Forero

The difference is very small, but I think you mean the second version ("wearing yellow" does mean "in yellow clothing").

Barque

Tamil

The second sentence 'I've never seen you wearing' means that he probably wears yellow but you have never seen him in the process of wearing yellow.
    Your explanation of the first sentence doesn't rule out the possibility that he might have worn yellow when you couldn't see him. That makes that part the same.

I like Kentix's explanation, and agree it's quite possible, so there could be a difference.

< Previous | Next >