ja dann

j-Adore

English (BrE)
"Gut, dann gehen wir jetzt rein. Wer weiß, vielleicht kommt ja dann deine Erinnerung wieder."

I suppose this "ja" has a restrictive sense, but I'm not sure if it has some connection with "vielleicht" or "dann", or perhaps it is used by itself?

I wonder if it means "then/after all/eventually"? Merci.

• ablativ

German(y)
    dann is used in a temporary sense (then). After going inside, your memory may eventually (= ja) come back.

ayuda?

▶"Gut, dann gehen wir jetzt rein. Wer weiß, vielleicht kommt ja dann deine Erinnerung wieder."

I don’t think it has so much to do with vielleicht or dann.
    It seems to be something that is add to a sentence as a whole “to give it a certain flavor.”
    These sources give more examples that are similar to yours in form and feeling.
    You have to search through them because ja could be used in several ways
    Many times, a lot of these words[I call them Denkwörter] are not exactly translatable into English and are more unique to German.

Google Search>use of ja in German>

canoonet - Adverb: Abtönungspartikeln Abtönungspartikeln/particles
    Use of "ja" in a sentence [Examples with ja]
    The usage of the modal particle "ja" [Examples with ja]

In your example, it seems to convey a meaning of "possibly" or "you know."

Last edited:

Kajjo

It seems to be something that is add to a sentence as a whole “to give it a certain flavor.”
    Right, all these typical German flavor particles are really, really difficult to explain and translate.

In your example, it seems to convey a meaning of "possibly" or "you know."
    Not bad, but I believe even weaker than that. It adds flavor, a mood, a connotation, rather than a concrete meaning.

HilfswilligerGenosse

German, High German
    This might well be said by a cop or a judge to a witness.

The witness says "I don't remember anything" (Ich kann mich an nichts erinnern.)
    If the judge or cop does not believe this, he could - either in front of the building that was the crime site or in front of the police station - use this sentence: Gut, dann gehen wir jetzt rein. Vielleicht kommt ja dann deine Erinnerung wieder." with emphasis (Betonung) on dann, not on ja.

Hutschi

... It adds flavor, a mood, a connotation, rather than a concrete meaning.
    I think so, too.
    Note that "ja" is spoken short and unstressed. "... ja dann" has a kind of iambic intonation. Unstressed stressed.
    "kommt ja dann" - "long short long" intonation

Duden give following definition for this kind of "ja":
    Duden | ja | Rechtschreibung, Bedeutung, Definition, Synonyme, Herkunft
    1. ...
    2. ...
    3. einschränkend, meist in Korrelation mit »aber«; zwar
      Grammatik
      unbetont
    Duden gives as example
    Beispiele
    • ich möchte ja, aber ich kann nicht
    • der Wagen ist ja schön, aber viel zu teuer
    • sie mag ja recht haben
    I think in your sentence it expresses some doubt, it emphasizes "vielleicht".

So it has also a connotation to:
    1. drückt im Aussagesatz eine resümierende Feststellung aus, weist auf etwas Bekanntes hin oder dient der Begründung für ein nicht explizites Geschehen oder für etwas Allgemeingültiges; doch, bekanntlich
      Grammatik
      unbetont
    Example:
    • sie kommt ja immer zu spät
    (the same source)

It expresses a summary, relates to something known and helps to justify a proposition for something happening.

< Previous | Next >