Jaagpad. Uitgezonderd aangelanden, toelatingen W & Z, rijwielen en bromfietsen klasse A

< Previous | Next >

Dalieux

Portuguese - Brazil
Strange sign I've noticed, I can't make out any words except for "uitgezonderd" (no pun intended).
Can someone help me with it's translation and give more context about what it is actually allowing or disallowing?

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I can imagine it comes over as quite cryptic. Fortunately I know what it is about because I live near a place where that sign is also present.

First of all, I need to explain some terminology:

"Jaagpad" is a towpath; it is a road that was used in ancient times where the horses that towed the ships would walk. It is a road next to a canal or river for inland navigation (which is a transport system allowing ships and barges to use inland waterways (such as canals , rivers and lakes)). Those roads are not public domain but are owned by W & Z (see below).

"W & Z" is the abbreviation of "Waterwegen en Zeekanaal" (waterways and sea canal), and that has been renamed to "Vlaamse waterweg". It is a government institution that owns, manages and maintains the inland waterways and associated infrastructure.

Now, the sign that you saw says that access to the towpath is forbidden except (uitgezonderd) for:
    - "Aangelanden": riperian owners
    - "toelatingen W & Z": permit holders from W & Z
    - "rijwielen": bicycles
    - "bromfietsen klasse A": motorcycles class A (max. speed is 25km/h)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dalieux

Portuguese - Brazil
    My god... I would never have guessed, even more so because the phrases seem very abbreviated. Thank you!
    Some follow up questions:
    - riparian owners refer to all locals, or just the ones who have houses in the shore?
    - so, if I'm not an "aangelande" (?) and I don't have that permit, I can't follow the path even on foot? but if I'm on a bike it's ok? Or is it implied that the acces is just prohibited for vehicles?

Last edited:

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    - riparian owners refer to all locals, or just the ones who have houses in the shore?
    Not all locals; only the owners (or visitors) of a property that can only be accessed via the towpath.
    I can't follow the path even on foot?
    Unless there is another sign that explicitly forbids access for pedestrians, they can also use the towpath.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >