Jag Judge Advocate General(s)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by David1969, Jul 12, 2006.

1. David1969 Member

Spanish Panama
    AS THE DICTIONARY STATES, JAG IS AN ABBREVIATION FOR:

"judge advocate general
    n. pl. judge advocates general or judge advocate generals Abbr. JAG
    The chief legal officer of a branch of the U.S. armed forces.F LEGAL"

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, IF JAG STANDS FOR ONLY ONE CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER (LAWYER) THAT HAS THE RANK OF A GENERAL?? OR SEVERAL MILITARY LEGAL OFFICERS (RANKED AS GENERALS)??. FURTHER EXPLANATION ABOUT THIS SYSTEM OR BRANCH (THE PURPOSE OR FUNCTIONS OF THAT BRANCH) WILL BE APPRECIATED. KINDLY YOURS.

2. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    David,

Please do not post in capital letters.
    This is considered by many to be the equivalent of shouting - it is rude.

Someone who knows about the US military judiciary may be able to help you.

Have you tried searching on the relevant websites?

Panj
    (Mod)

3. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    The military rank General has nothing to do with the term Judge Advocate General and most Judge Advocates are Lieutenants or Captains.

A Judge Advocate is an officer who superintends proceedings at a military court martial.

A Judge Advocate General is the civilian adviser to the Crown on matters relating to courts martial and on military law generally.

4. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Same in AE, except for the part about the Crown. "Advocate General" is analagous to "Attorney General," which also has nothing to do with military rank.

5. maxiogee Banned

imithe
    Just to add a minor point, I think that the plural should not be Judge Advocate General(s), but Judge Advocates General.

6. David1969 Member

Spanish Panama
    Panj: I did not have the inttention of being rude. I am sorry. I posted in capital letters, (and sometimes I write in capital letters) because I believe it can be read better. I never thought it could be interpreted as a shout.

Thanks for all the members who answered to the thread. I am trying to learn what I dont understand completely. My native language is Spanish, and my secondary language is English. Sincerely yours,

7. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    David,
    It is a convention of internet conversation that to post in capital letters is the equivalent of shouting.

Please call again:)

Panj

8. David1969 Member

Spanish Panama
    About Judge Advocate General. Doing some research I found the following information about Jag, that is:
    "Today the Judge Advocate General directs a worldwide organization of more than 730 judge advocates, 30 Limited duty Officers (law), 630 enlisted and nearly 275 civilian personnel. The JAG provides legal and policy advice to the Secretary of the Navy in all legal matters concerning military justice, administrative law, environmental law, ethics, claims, admiralty, operational and international law, litigation and legal assistance."

Nevertheless your friend (me David1969), still remain with several doubts about the term Judge Advocate General. If an advocate is a lawyer, a legal adviser to this office, or an attorney general for naval justice, and because I am more interested in the construction of the term Judge Advocate, my question is:

why call it a judge?????? a judge advocate??? What does a judge or the term judge has to do with "legal counsel officer for any military branch"?

9. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    Because that person is the Judge in the proceedings.
    An advocate is a lawyer.
    There will be many advocates present but there will only be one Judge.

Your mate

10. David1969 Member

Spanish Panama
    thanks a lot mate. kindly yours

11. ericscot Senior Member

A couple of notes about usage of "JAG" in the U.S.

The Army, Navy (which I believe covers the Marine Corps in this case), and Air Force each has its own legal arm called The Judge Advocate General's Corps. The head of each service's JAG corps is called the Judge Advocate General, and while their ranks seem to be irrelevant, they are generals in the Army and Air Force, and flag rank in the Navy. The military attorneys are offically called Judge Advocates, but I've heard the term JAG officer used more commonly.