1. calembourde

calembourde Senior Member

Genève, Suisse
    New Zealand, English
    Hi,

I have often seen people online say "je ne peux pas, j'ai piscine" or just "j'ai piscine" by itself... I have swimming pool :confused:. I get the impression that it is just a random, silly excuse for not doing something (like a girl saying she can't go on a date because she has to wash her hair that night.) Am I right? Where did this phrase come from, is it a play on words?

2. Johanne

Johanne Senior Member

I understand it like J'ai (un cours de) piscine. Like as J'ai cours ce soir.

3. Guass

Guass Member

Well, "j'ai piscine" is used for meaning "I have a swimming training".

I've never heard that as an silly excuse.

4. BénéQC

BénéQC Senior Member

Québec City
    france french
    :D I heard it as an excuse, I did!!
    I think it's in a film or a TV program in France (For instance a TV show like "Tout le monde en parle" with Ardisson et Laurent Baffie...) The guy said (I think it's Laurent Baffie) "Je peux pas, j'ai piscine" and that was so funny he'd say that line again several times. I said that to my friend too, trying to be funny!!
    Hope it helps!

5. Guass

Guass Member

It was in the TV programme "Tout le monde en parle" I remember, but sniff.....this programme doesn't exist any more :(

6. calembourde

calembourde Senior Member

Genève, Suisse
    New Zealand, English
    Thanks, I wondered if it came from a movie or something. :D

7. edharcourt

edharcourt Senior Member

France, idf/bzh
    French - France
    Hey.
    I was just thinking about this.
    I used the excuse "Je peux pas, j'ai piscine" when I was in school (especially because I didn't have swimming lessons...).

8. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    It could mean what it says - I can't come tomorrow, I go to the swimming pool on (Fridays) or we have swimming tomorrow.
    (suggestion)

9. thegeekfr New Member

French
    Hi there !
    I'm french so i can explain : it's from an old ( and really funny )French TV show, and a guy was use to say "Je ne peux pas, j'ai piscine", and it became an expression to say "i won't come to help you, as i don't want to"
    By example, if someone invite you to diner, or a party, etc ... and you don't want to, you reply "je ne peux pas, j'ai piscine".
    It's simple joke that could make laugh any french there.

10. Kecha Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Actually Baffie was already doing it in Nulle Part Ailleurs (he doesn't renew his stock jokes very often).
    The show ran Monday to Friday and every night when the co-host would announce they'll be coming back the following night (or the following Monday), Baffie would dead pan "Je peux pas, j'ai piscine". Les Guignols often mocked him because it became un-funny real quick.

11. DrChen

DrChen Senior Member

Tokyo
    French-France
    J'entends beaucoup "je peux pas, j'ai aqua-poney" en ce moment parmi les djeun's si vous voulez rafraîchir l'expression un petit coup.