jak ulotne jest życie

< Previous | Next >

Maya2805

Polish, living in Canada
Szukam slowa po anglielsku zeby wyrazic zdanie:Takie sytuacje sprawiaja ze mysle jak ulotne jest zycie.Situations like these make me think of how (ulotne) life is.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, fleeting is the most common word used in such contexts. Transient is also fairly common.

Evanescent and ephemeral are really bookish synonyms, and there's no need to use them when the others will do.

This is to say nothing of fugacious. :D

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    [...]
    This is to say nothing of fugacious. :D
    Thanks for your comment, Elroy.

Could you please elaborate? Judging from what I saw I thought the word could be used as a synonym of fleeting, ephemeral in the sense of passing away quickly; is it not used this way? [Yep, I am aware of its usage related to blossoms, flowers, etc.]

Tom

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Judging from what I saw I thought the word could be used as a synonym of fleeting, ephemeral in the sense of passing away quickly; is it not used this way?
    It is; it's just...a rather hifalutin and bombastic manner to communicate a notion that can be effectively transmitted without being so pretentiously and turgidly articulated. :D

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    It is; it's just...a rather hifalutin and bombastic manner to communicate a notion that can be effectively transmitted without being so pretentiously and turgidly articulated. :D
    Thank you. :)

:idea: The Polish part also sounds a little bit pompous, maybe not so pretentious, but it conveys some element of what you've described. I'd expect to hear something like that in a TV soap opera, a theatre play or read in a novel or an essay; a letter to an intimate friend could also contain a wording of this type, which is quite elevated. I don't think many Poles would use it in a casual conversation, it comes across somewhat turgidly.

Tom

ryba

Thank you. :)

:idea: The Polish part also sounds a little bit pompous, maybe not so pretentious, but it conveys some element of what you've described. I'd expect to hear something like that in a TV soap opera, a theatre play or read in a novel or an essay; a letter to an intimate friend could also contain a wording of this type, which is quite elevated. I don't think many Poles would use it in a casual conversation, it comes across somewhat turgidly.

Tom
    Hi, all!

I know I'm getting off the main idea of the topic but I've got to agree with you, Tom. If the sentence were situated in an informal context (a chat with a friend, etc) I probably would just say:

Takie sytuacje przypominają mi o tym, jakie życie jest ulotne...

Cheers

dn88

Polish
    It has just occurred to me that "fragile" could be a reasonable choice here. In addition, it isn't very formal or sophisticated, but best conveys the whole idea, I guess (I know it's "slightly" :D different in meaning, anyway, it fits in well with the rest of the sentence):

Situations like these make me think of how fragile life is.

Cheers :)

candy-man

Polish/Poland
    Hola:
    I guess these ideas are all correct but the most appropriate adjective here would be definitely 'ephemeral'.'Fragile' is a good substitution for 'brittle' and evanescent,hmm... it's good but I it reminds me too much of the splendind band!! Señalo que sólo puedo sugerirles a ustedes la idea :)
    PS When it comes to the adj. 'fleeting' i've just come across a piece of information that says it's applied in most cases before nouns. I'm not a native of English or anything but...take it into consideration,please.
    F.ex. It just took me a fleeting rate to piece it together.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Google results for "life is fleeting": 25,000
    Google results for "life is ephemeral": 11,200

Google results for "how fleeting life is": 3,830
    Google results for "how ephemeral life is": 459

Not that I needed the Google results to confirm my gut feeling. ;)

< Previous | Next >