Jako

bogdan50972

Russian - Ukraine, Kiev
  • wolfbm1

Polish
    Straszne, nieludzkie słowa. Brrr... Wolę Kochanowskiego.
    Słownik języka polskiego wyjaśnia, że "jako gospodarz" znaczy "pełniący rolę gospodarza", "jako dziecko" oznacza w okresie życia gdy był ktoś dzieckiem.
    Jako wiedźmin - pełniący rolę wiedźmina. Ale jest pytanie: kto jako wiedźmin?

Last edited:

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Straszne, nieludzkie słowa. Brrr... Wolę Kochanowskiego.
    Słownik języka polskiego wyjaśnia, że "jako gospodarz" znaczy "pełniący rolę gospodarza", "jako dziecko" oznacza w okresie zycia gdy był ktoś dzieckiem.
    Jako wiedźmin - pełniacy rolę wiedżmina. Ale jest pytanie: kto jako wiedźmin?
    It is a very unusual usage in modern Polish, and may be just be a failed attempt at archaization of the speech. It should be actually "Jako że", and the meaning would be "because". Using only "jako" is meaningless. By the way the "song" is a terribly bad poetry, in Polish called "grafomania".

haes

Polish - Poland
    It is extremly unclear, looks like an attempt to present the song in "outdated" or "vintage", even "medieval" language. CR Projekt has spent dozens of millions of USD for production of this game and while I haven't played it, the reviews are extremely positive. I would not be surprised if this was really coined by some professional Polish language linguist but in my opinion is rather cheap styling or stylization for "medieval" Polish. I have read this sentence like 10 times and cannot figure out 100 % what they mean. "Jako" can mean here "as, as a witcher", or rather "when, when Witcher will slice you". I would vote for the latter, that is "when", because when you listen to this song being sung, she sings it in one go, without pausing or breaking intonation - "gdy krzyki dosięgną cię‿jako wiedźmin mężny tak za złotych monet smak‿posieka cię" - this sounds like one thought or line of reasoning - when the screams will reach you, when the witcher will slice you" bla bla bla.

yezyk

Polish
    I agree with the opinions above.
    This usage of "jako" is definitely foreign to contemporary Polish, and it most likely has nothing to do with historical language.
    Also strange is its coupling with "tak" in the verse. By pure association it could be understood as suggested by Ben Jamin and haes, or maybe "the witcher is brave, but for money he will...".
    The "when" interpretation sounds the most convincing to me. Together with the thesis of bad writing : )

< Previous | Next >