Janguiar

Ke rico

America - Spanish
I wonder do many people use this word who are not Puerto Rican? My family uses it a lot. It means "to hang out" it is callejero it has no dictionary definition. Many people I speak to who are of Cuba or other places don't understand that word when I use it. "Oyese vamos a janguiar esta noche?" Then they get confused and ask me what I mean.

My question is if anyone else has heard this word? I have only heard my family and some of my other Puerto Rican friends use it..is it a frequent word for other people or is it just with my family and some of my friends that know it?

• Oscar Cáceres Burgos

Chile, Español
    Definitely I have never heard it...
    however, Puerto ricans use to "latinize" some english terms....
    It is not a surprise for me...

"Presea, dale, presea"

Presear = presionar

=$

Ke rico

America - Spanish
    Oh yes, I have seen latinizing of words ;) Even for me sometimes it is hard to understand what my grandfather says. He uses many words that are "spanglish". I'm kinda disappointed. Now I'm so used to janguiar, and I do not think that people understand this word :(

fenixpollo

American English
    It sounds like a Spanglish version of the English phrase, to hang out. I've never heard it used in Mexico or in the southwestern US.

parhuzam

USA/English/Español
    I have never heard this term.... but there are many examples of the same transition of English into Spanish... such as "parquear" (from park) which seems to have gained wide acceptance as a sample of a developing living language.

Ke rico

America - Spanish
    Oh... then I must ask which word do you use that is in-formal to say hang out? We just use janguiar.

parhuzam

USA/English/Español
    We use "blowing the breeze, watching paint dry, vegetating, ruminating , chewing the fat, passing the time, idlying...among others." Hang out is already slang to mean reside, live..

I just haven't found the need to use "janguiar."

Ke rico

America - Spanish
    Oh. We use janguiar all the time. i guess it's confusing to other people. Heh. Thanks for your help everyone. Oh by the way pecosita, I was looking for a Spanish equivalent. Thanks :D

comrade

English, USA
    Junot Diaz (who is Dominican American) uses it in his stories -- he has characters from the DR using it when they talk to each other.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Although the thread was opened in 2008, I can confirm that the verbs janguiar (or janguear) are still used to this day in Puerto Rico to mean "to hang out", to get together and chill out, to go somewhere and have a good time.
    • A Marta y a mí nos gusta janguear en la Placita (de Santurce).​

We even have a noun: el jangueo (the act of hanging out)
    • Esta noche me voy de jangueo con mis amigos​

Saludos,
    LN

Nico44

Español (caribe) english uk
    Although the thread was opened in 2008, I can confirm that the verbs janguiar (or janguear) are still used to this day in Puerto Rico to mean "to hang out", to get together and chill out, to go somewhere and have a good time.
    • A Marta y a mí nos gusta janguear en la Placita (de Santurce).​

We even have a noun: el jangueo (the act of hanging out)
    • Esta noche me voy de jangueo con mis amigos​

Saludos,
    LN
    Si tienes razón también en DR sigue usándose esta palabra

< Previous | Next >