Japan

bondia

English-England
I have just seen the news live from Japan about the devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami.
My thoughts are with our Japanese friends.

• Vampiro

Member Emeritus
    Chile - Español
    Fuerza, Japón, estamos con ustedes, como siempre.

Si alguien llega a saber algo de Hiro Sasaki, quien habitualmente visita el foro Sólo Español, que por favor me avise mediante un PM.

Saludos.
    _

frida-nc

English USA
    I have seen the videos. They are devastating; it was a massive quake. I hope that the loss of life is as low as possible, but when the sea poured over the land, you could see it destroying and carrying away almost everything. The people of Japan are in.our thoughts.

kidika

Español - España
    Yes, indeed, they are prepared for earthquakes, but from what I saw about the tsunami(s), I don't think any structure or artifact made by mankind can resist such a force of nature.
    Indeed. I´ve just read that the axis of the Earth has moved 10 cms due to this quake.

Hope everything goes back to normal asap in that amazing country and my deepest condolencies to those affected.

bondia

English-England
    Fuerza, Japón, estamos con ustedes, como siempre.

Si alguien llega a saber algo de Hiro Sasaki, quien habitualmente visita el foro Sólo Español, que por favor me avise mediante un PM.

Saludos.
    _

O aquí mismo. Pienso que todos estamos pendientes de la suerte de nuestros compañeros. Cuando abrí este hilo pensé que podría ayudar a mantener el contacto. Ojalá sea así.
    Saludos

Aserolf

Español - México
    My thoughts and prayers are with all the people from Japan...

Mi más sincero apoyo para todos ustedes.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    No puedo imaginar los estragos causados por un evento sísmico de esta magnitud:

Risultati preliminari di studi effettuati dall'INGV (Melini-Piersanti) indicano che il terremoto del Giappone di questa mattina avrebbe spostato l'asse di rotazione terrestre di quasi 10 centimetri. L'impatto di questo evento sull'asse di rotazione e' stato molto maggiore anche rispetto a quello del grande terremoto di Sumatra del 2004 e probabilmente secondo solo al terremoto del Cile del 1960.

Terremoto in Giappone. Instituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia.

Acá la cobertura en tiempo real de la BBC.

Un saludo a todos los foristas japoneses y un abrazo extensivo a todo el pueblo nipón.

Last edited:

Vampiro

Member Emeritus
    Chile - Español
    A todos:
    Hiro Sasaki y familia están bien. Se ha comunicado conmigo.
    Está lejos de la zona de catástrofe, pero muy afectado por las noticias.
    Un abrazo.

Eduardo.
    _

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Gracias, Eduardo.

Un gran saludo, Hiro. Qué bueno saber que tú y los tuyos están bien.

Antpax

Spanish Spain
    A todos:
    Un abrazo.

Eduardo.
    _

Gran noticia. Gracias Edu por compartirla. Espero que el resto de foreros esté bien también, y que todo el pueblo de Japón pueda superar esta catástrofe.

Un abrazo para todos.

Aserolf

Español - México
    A todos:
    Un abrazo.

Eduardo.
    _
    Mis mejores deseos para Hiro Sasaki y su familia.
    Sé que me uno a los buenos pensamientos de muchos compañeros foristas en orar por la recuperación y fortaleza del pueblo japonés.

Colchonero

Español
    Acabo de escuchar en la radio que, según informaciones oficiales del gobierno japonés, se han producido fugas radioactivas en una de las centrales nucleares afectadas y que la temperatura en su interior es mil veces superior a lo normal.

En fin, crucemos los dedos...

Last edited:

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Hello Pat,

I gather that in Tokyo there seem to have been more inconveniences than damages. Zones affected by the tsunami seem to have been the most heavily affected. And news about possible radiactive leaks in some nuclear plants are most worrying.

Our own earthquake of a year ago was very damaging, and we are still slowly progressing in the reconstruction, although we must be thankful for the surprinsingly low number of casualties, given the magnitude of the zone affected. We are still experiencing mild to severe aftershocks that are not expected to end soon. What is worse, we are also expecting a severe new earthquake in the North, where we have have had some rather strong movements in the last couple of months, and where there has been no strong quake for more than 100 years, so the energy accumulated in the moving plates must be enormous by now. Fortunately, the population density there is low.

Japan and Chile seem to be the two most seismic countries in the world, but this doesn't make us to get used to earthquakes, or to be fully prepared for them when they come without warning.

Our country fully understands the feelings of the people in Japan, and I would say that most of those in here who believe in a God are praying for the Japanese people. I am sure that those who don't are in some way or another offering their moral support to those who have been so severely and recently affected by such a devastating blow. We are also confident in the moral strength of the Japanese, that will help them to overcome this tragedy as they have done in so many similar cases in the past.

Last edited:

Flaminius

hedomodo
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Yes, Oldy Nuts, inconvenience was what I experienced.

I had to walk one third of the distance of my commute to Tokyo. I waited till morning for the train service to be back. I came back 1 PM this afternoon. It's nothing compared to the suffering of those who were closer to the epicentre and the tsunami-struck coastline. I was at a loss how to get through the night last night but I could find a place to stay. It's nothing when I imagine how scary they feel in Fukushima now that the evacuation zone has expanded to 20km-radius about an hour after the 10km zone was ordered. There, power plants are leaking radioactive particles when their capability could help alleviate the suffering of those in the damaged areas.

Tokyo Power, the owner of the plants, are planing for 3-hour blackouts for each "district" tomorrow. Due to the failing nuclear plants, they cannot produce as much energy as the expected consumption in the Tokyo Metropolis. While I experience some more inconvenience here, I hope it will increase energy allowance in the areas that needs electricity the most.

Thank you very much for your calls of prayer, solidarity, warmth and care.

almostfreebird

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    Thank you for your kind words、 James romarsan kidika .
    But I'm afraid something terrible is going on near the nuclear plant in Fukushima.

Roy776

German & AmE
    In germany, the news say that the nuclear plant in Fukushima is leaking high amounts of nuclear radiation. They assume that the maximum credible accident has already taken place. We would not or hardly be affected, but other countries in Europe, Russia and many other countries in Asia that are close to Japan would be.

I really hope that the situation in Japan get's better. I could never imagine what horror that has and had to be.

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Thank you for your kind words、 James romarsan kidika .
    But I'm afraid something terrible is going on near the nuclear plant in Fukushima.

News received here are also very disturbing, with a gradual worsening of damages that were strongly denied at first. In Chile we can fully understand the consequences of the earthquake + tsunami combination, but can hardly imagine a nuclear disaster that we pray will not come. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing we can do to help the brave Japanese people in this, except for praying, crossing our fingers, making knots in handkerchieves, whatever. You can bet that Japan is in the minds of every one of us.

bondia

English-England
    News received here are also very disturbing, with a gradual worsening of damages that were strongly denied at first. In Chile we can fully understand the consequences of the earthquake + tsunami combination, but can hardly imagine a nuclear disaster that we pray will not come. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing we can do to help the brave Japanese people in this, except for praying, crossing our fingers, making knots in handkerchieves, whatever. You can bet that Japan is in the minds of every one of us.

Here we are again, querido Oldy Nuts, praying, crossing our fingers, and making knots... It worked on other occasions, so let´s keep our hopes high. Oh dear, sometimes I feel that the world will fall apart.
    Mejores saludos

WyomingSue

English--USA
    All our prayers and best wishes in this terrible situation. In the States we have been glued to the news since yesterday morning. It is very hard not to cry even thousands of miles away.

JamesM

All our prayers and best wishes in this terrible situation. In the States we have been glued to the news since yesterday morning. It is very hard not to cry even thousands of miles away.

This is true. People are standing, staring at the screen in coffee shops and elsewhere, unable to take the scale of the disaster in. Everyone's worried about the towns affected by tsunamis.

shawnee

English - Australian
    The earthquake has now been upgraded to category 9. The third largest in world history. It is reported that 10,000 people are unaccounted for. There is much yet to unfold. My thoughts are with the Japanese people at this time. So far for 2011 the score is, Nature (how many disasters?) and Humanity (nil).

kidika

Español - España
    So far for 2011 the score is, Nature (how many disasters?) and Humanity (nil).
    What do you mean, Shawnee, that Humanity has caused no disasters this year? Surely you don´t mean that.

I´m really amazed at how Japanese people seem to endure these terrible moments with such strength and such calm. Admirable people.

Almostfreebird and Flaminius how are you feeling? What crosses your minds right now? (Ignore these questions if you guys don´t feel like answering, please)

bondia

English-England
    What do you mean, Shawnee, that Humanity has caused no disasters this year? Surely you don´t

Almostfreebird and Flaminius how are you feeling? What crosses your minds right now? (Ignore these questions if you guys don´t feel like answering, please)

I think that Shawnee meant that Nature is showing her strength over Humanity, and is winning.
    I am shocked and horrified by the images I have seen from Japan. Surely no natural disater of this magnitude has been so exhaustively filmed live.
    I shake in my shoes regarding the possibility (probablity) of nuclear disaster.
    My thoughts, and all good wishes, to our friends in Japan.

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    I shake in my shoes regarding the possibility (probablity) of nuclear disaster.
    My thoughts, and all good wishes, to our friends in Japan.

That is my main worry by far. And it makes me uneasy to feel that news about what is happening in the plants seem to be administered with an eyedropper... I pray to be wrong on both counts.

bondia

English-England
    That is my main worry by far. And it makes me uneasy to feel that news about what is happening in the plants seem to be administered with an eyedropper... I pray to be wrong on both counts.

Yes, the effects of the quake and tsunamis are dreadful, I can't bear to watch more live videos of these disasters.
    People mourn and survive, countries are rebuilt, but the threat of radioactivity, this is another language altogether.
    I, too, pray that you are wrong, querido amigo.