Japanese and Chinese: 哈日族, 親日派

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
Hello,

Please tell me the meaning (origin if you know) and the pronunciation of the word 哈日族. Is it ha-Ni-zoku? Does it mean Japanofile or Japanification or both? Is it a synonym to 親日派 shin-Nichi-ha?

Both words can be used in Chinese as well (the must be pronounced as hā-Rì-zú 哈日族, qīn-Rì-pài 親日派/亲日派). Not so sure how they are used in Chinese either, my dictionaries don't have them.

Please check if I put the pronunciation right.

• lammn

Chinese - Cantonese
    Both words can be used in Chinese as well (the must be pronounced as hā-Rì-zú 哈日族, qīn-Rì-pài 親日派/亲日派). Not so sure how they are used in Chinese either, my dictionaries don't have them.

Please check if I put the pronunciation right.
    Wikipedia is your friend: ;)

哈日族
    亲日派

Mandarin is not my first language, but I think your pronunciation should be correct.
    But can you tell me why you capitalized the character R for 日?

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    Well, that's where I got the words from - Wikipedia. Thanks for trying, anyway. I am still confused about the exact meaning, usage and not 100% sure about the Japanese pronunciation

Spelling? It has "Japanese" between the 2 other characters, e.g. I would romanise 日米 Nichi-Bei (Japanese-American) in Japanese or 日美 Rì-Měi, the same in Chinese.

EDIT:

Worst case scenario, I will use the Wiki articles. Strange, I couldn't find the words in any dictionary. Can they be used with other countries similarly?

Last edited:

lammn

Chinese - Cantonese
    I am still confused about the exact meaning, usage and not 100% sure about the Japanese pronunciation
    The Japanese pronunciation has been specified in the Japanese Wiki:

親日派(しんにちは):Shin'nichiha
    哈日族(こうにちぞく、ハーリーズゥ):Kounichizoku / Hariizu(u)

According to Chinese & Japanese wiki, the term 哈日族 is originated from Taiwan. (No wonder I have never heard the term 哈日族 before.)
    It refers to those non-Japanese people, in particular youngsters, who are obsessed with the Japanese popular culture, eg. anime, manga, pop music, games, fashion, etc.
    As far as I know, the term 哈日族 is not that popular in Mainland China and in Hong Kong.
    In Hong Kong, those people who are obsessed with Japanese anime, manga, games will be called 宅人 or 御宅族, which derives from the Japanese word おたく.
    However, most 御宅族 does not care about fashion. If you have watched the movie/TV 電車男, you will know know a stereo type 御宅族 looks like. :D So 哈日族 might perhaps look better in appearance.

I can assure you that those who are not interested in Japanese culture will not know what is 御宅族 and what is 哈日族.

A check of dictionary entry like this shows that 哈日族 is different from "Japanophile" in the classical sense.
    In recent years, however, the meaning of "Japanophile" also covers those people who are 哈日族, but "Japanophile" in this sense is a pejorative term, as opposed to the original Taiwanese word 哈日族, which may or may not be pejorative.

親日派 has a broader meaning than 哈日族.
    It broadly includes all those non-Japanese people who are fond of or support Japan.
    But in practice, it usually refers to those people whose political views favor Japan.
    Some Chinese and Koreans think that 親日派 are traitors to their own countries because Japan has invaded China and Korea in the last centurary.

"Japanification" is another concept.
    Dictionary entry shows that is a derogatory term used to describe the process of becoming or wishing to become a fully integrated member of the Japanese community.
    It may also be used to describe persons living outside Japan who have a certain affinity to some aspect of Japanese culture. In this particular sense, "Japanification" is similar to 哈日族.

< Previous | Next >