Japanese/Latin: I love you

• Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    I know very little latin but this seems to be within my very limited realm: "Benjamin, Amo Te" or "Benjamin, Amo Vos" in deference or respect... Now that I've written it, there seems to be something wrong...... Should it have something like "O Benjamin...."
    Unfortunately I know nothing of Japanese save "Konnichiwa"....

DareRyan

United States - English
    Jhorer Brishti said:
    I know very little latin but this seems to be within my very limited realm: "Benjamin, Amo Te" or "Benjamin, Amo Vos" in deference or respect... Now that I've written it, there seems to be something wrong...... Should it have something like "O Benjamin...."
    Unfortunately I know nothing of Japanese save "Konnichiwa"....

"Benjamin, Amo Vos" May be a bit awkward assuming there is only one of him. Vos is the plural of Tu and thusly would be fairly strange unless there was indeed more than one Benjamin. I do agree with "Amo te". It is more common for a conjugated verb to come at the beginning of the phrase.

Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    DareRyan, I thought Vos was also the form people used to address the Roman Emperor as a sign of reverence. This is how Vos(vous) came to be the formal you as well as the plural in French. Is this particular usage of "vos" as a singular formal you something that took place well after what would be considered "classical" latin?

< Previous | Next >