Japanese Name Transliteration

< Previous | Next >

mohanspace

India - Tamil & English
Dear Japanese Experts,

I've a very large set of Japanese Names which i want to transliterate into English. I'm looking for an online tool to do it (using modified Hepburn method).

I've found a tool for Chinese Transliteration (Chinese-learner website). Can anyone please direct me to such links for Japanese Name transliteration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mohan

• mikun

Japanese
    Hi,
    As you mentioned, We use Hepburn romaji method principally when translating Japanese name to English alpabetes. There are several variations in translating name to English practically because Hepbuen system does not correspond to correct Japanese pronunciation sometimes. For example, in case of 大野、
    Some people prefer Oono, and some prefer Ono, some prefer Ohno,---
    There is no definite correct answer.
    In case of 手塚、Hepburn says TEDUKA, but passport name is TEZUKA.

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    You could use Google Translate. I find that it gives better results if you put a space between the family name and given name. Google Translate doesn't switch the position of the family name and given name. But do note that in Japanese the family name comes first, but when transliterating a Japanese name into English, it is an usual practice to have the family name come last.

Mikun's comment about "passport name of 手塚" makes me wonder... is this practice of switching the position of the family name and given name done in Japanese passports too?

Last edited:

mohanspace

India - Tamil & English
    Thanks you all.

But i'm looking for a link like this (www[.]chinese-learner[.]com/tools/convert-chinese-pinyin.php).

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Hi,
    As you mentioned, We use Hepburn romaji method principally when translating Japanese name to English alpabetes. There are several variations in translating name to English practically because Hepbuen system does not correspond to correct Japanese pronunciation sometimes. For example, in case of 大野、
    Some people prefer Oono, and some prefer Ono, some prefer Ohno,---
    There is no definite correct answer.
    In case of 手塚、Hepburn says TEDUKA, but passport name is TEZUKA.
    The Hepburn system renders 手塚 just the same as the passport conventions: TEZUKA
    [In fact, the passport conventions are minor modifications to Hepburn.]

Perhaps you meant kunrēshiki (or under its own conventions kunreisiki :eek:) when you said a romanisation system does not display the "correct Japanese pronunciation".

Mikun's comment about "passport name of 手塚" makes me wonder... is this practice of switching the position of the family name and given name done in Japanese passports too?
    A Japanese passport has a line for "Surname," then another line for "Given name." You need a single like that would contain both to determine whether they are switched or not. :)

Thanks you all.

But i'm looking for a link like this ...
    Do you have pronunciations of the names spelt out in hiragana or katakana (the two phonetic Japanese scripts) in your data set? If so, here is a tool:
    http://www.romaji.org/

If not, I must tell you that no automatic conversion is available.

< Previous | Next >