Japanese Slipper [a cocktail]

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
There is a cocktail named Japanese Slipper that originated down under.

While the connotation it gives off to inhabitants in Japan is rather negative --- it conjures up an image of flip-flops, pit-a-patting around, or cheap plastic slippers worn perhaps in bathrooms ---, it must have a positive connotation to it. What do you think it is?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In Japanese society, shoes are worn outdoors. They are not worn inside a home, a restaurant, or an office.

Everyone takes off their outdoor shoes in the entryway and puts on "slippers". In a home they may go barefoot or wear slippers. Offices and restaurants have many pairs of slippers for visitors to use.

Often there is a step in the entryway: the outdoor shoes stay at the lower level, while the slippers (and the rest of indoors) are at a higher level, so you step up.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Perhaps your image of slippers as "only those that are flip-flop/zori or bathroom/toilet/obenjo slippers" is a restriction you bring to the interpretation. We (in our Japanese house) have many slippers for guests (the favourites are the Mickey Mouse ones :D ) and most of them are either simply plain or attractive in some way. Keith suggested brocade, while this (Japanese) company Heiwa slipper offers a broad range of "positive" connotation slippers :D

E6F5BBD2-C7E7-41A4-947C-EDC72508F302.jpeg http://heiwaslipper.strikingly.com/

There is a cocktail named Japanese Slipper that originated down under.

While the connotation it gives off to inhabitants in Japan is rather negative --- it conjures up an image of flip-flops, pit-a-patting around, or cheap plastic slippers worn perhaps in bathrooms ---, it must have a positive connotation to it. What do you think it is?

Last edited:

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Agreed. I see nothing negative about Japanese Slipper. Japanese culture, art and design has been appreciated in the West for many years. My natural thought was to think of something elegant or refined, as Keith suggested such as slippers made of silk. The drink's name "Slipper" is also a pun on something which "slips down the throat easily" (i.e. It is something very pleasant and easy to drink.) which also implies that it is something "smooth", hence reminding one of silk slippers.

HSS

Keith,

The reason I brought platform shoes up is because they normally wear something like this:

upload_2018-5-27_17-48-44.jpeg

And there are embroidered sorts.

HSS

Doji and Julian,

Stepping up on the floors, we normally 'slip' into drab slippers. Nothing to write home about. We grip on the inside so that they wouldn't come off. Green, or quiet-color, slippers are often found in the bathrooms. Thus, my first reaction to the name was Ugh! (By the way, the cocktail is green)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Doji and Julian,

Stepping up on the floors, we normally 'slip' into drab slippers. Nothing to write home about. We grip on the inside so that they wouldn't come off. Green, or quiet-color, slippers are often found in the bathrooms. Thus, my first reaction to the name was Ugh! (By the way, the cocktail is green)
    Yeah, most of the slippers I have seen in houses and ryokans in Japan are pretty plain/boring in terms of design/colour :)
    64ACD1B1-EC82-43E4-AA38-3DF3206B6D38.jpeg

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >