Javanese: to believe

ssinitiere

English
I'm looking to translate "believe", "to believe" and/or "I believe" into Javanese. The form of "believe" I'm really looking for is the word credere in Latin if that is of any assistance. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• Foygl

Danish
    The only book on Javanese which I have gotten is "Lehrbuch des Modernen Djawanisch" from 1964 by Hans Herrfurth, and it has only gotten a Javanese-indexed word list which is rather limited. I was able to find two instances of "to believe" though (in German, "glauben"): he gives "glauben" as "pitaja, pitadjeng" and "nicht glauben" (i.e. "not to believe") as "-paido, -paiben." The former in each pair he calls "Ngoko-Grundwort" and the latter he calls "Kromo-Wort".
    I looked into the grammar section on verbs, and there he describes how "ngoko" in Modern Javanese means "du" (i.e. "you," or rather "thou") and how "kromo" in Old Javanese means "höflich" (i.e. "well-mannered"). Thus, "pitaja" and "-paido" should be used in informal settings, and "pitadjeng" and "-paiben" in formal settings. He stresses that the correct usage among Javanese people is very important.

So, I guess you should go for either "pitaja" or "pitadjeng" depending on how and where you're going to use it. Be aware of the fact though, that Nuclear Malayo-Polynesian languages (such as Javanese) and Romance languages (such as Latin) are very different, and that a root, stem, infinitive or whatever you choose to call it may not carry the exact same meaning or nuances or details in each language.

You should also note that I know only as much about Javanese as I just wrote, and that I'm by no means an authority. And the Latin alphabet used for writing Javanese (beside the Javanese script) was revised during the 1970s, after the book was written, and therefore the words may appear differently in modern Javanese.

I just though I'd give my two pennies' worth, although it may be incorrect today, since nobody else had stopped by.

Mauricet

French - France
    And the Latin alphabet used for writing Javanese (beside the Javanese script) was revised during the 1970s, after the book was written, and therefore the words may appear differently in modern Javanese.:tick:
    That's right: pitaya (ngoko), pitajeng (kromo) in the new spelling.

< Previous | Next >