Je commençais à m'inquiéter

< Previous | Next >

mustafa10

French France
Hi everybody!

Anybody knows how translate into a proper english this:

Comme ca fait longtemps que je n ai pas eu de tes news, Je commencais vraiment a m'inquieter!

Je dirais: since it's been quite a while I've heard from you, I start being very anxious! or I start being impatient

Je ne sais pas if it's sounds right

Any comments

• timpeac

English (England)
    Hi everybody!

Anybody knows how translate into a proper english this:

Comme ca fait longtemps que je n ai pas eu de tes news, Je commencais vraiment a m'inquieter!

Je dirais: since it's been quite a while since I've heard from you, I was starting [s]being very anxious[/S]to get quite worried! or I start being impatient

Je ne sais pas if it's sounds right

Any comments
    Suggestion above - not impatient, I think.

In order not to have to repeat the two "since" above I would probably change the first one to "as".

fleury

English (US)
    It might be more natural to invert the sequence in the subordinate clause, and say:

Since I haven't heard from you for a long time, I've begun/started to get/be worried/concerned ...

The above if you still haven't heard from him or her. But if you have heard, and now want to express the concern you felt before receiving word, you might say:

Since I hadn't heard from you for a long time, I began to be worried.

This is, at least, a US English perspective.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Other possibility?
    I hadn't heard from you for a long time, so I was getting worried.

broglet

English - England
    Other possibility?
    I hadn't heard from you for a long time, so I was getting worried.
    The use of the conjunction 'so' here implies that getting worried was an inevitable consequence.
    To make it sound less inevitable you could say something like, "Having heard nothing from you for a long time I was beginning to get worried".

< Previous | Next >