je fais du judo

Chouquette

france french
Hello,

Can I say 'I do judo' 'I do cycling' 'Ido swwimming' etc...

Thank you in advance.
Chouquette.

• fubuki

French - France
    I practise Judo, I play tennis, I ride a bicycle, I swimm...
    mais peux être que la forme "I do" est également correcte, seulement je ne crois pas l'avoir souvent entendue

klodaway

"sport" (singular) is rarely used in English.

Cambridge gives an example of singular : "She used to do/play a lot of sport when she was younger."

For instance, you wouldn't say "Do you do a sport?", but "Do you do sports?".

Again, this might not be grammatically correct (I wouldn't know, I suck at grammar :eek:), but can very well be used in speech.

klod-

Chouquette

france french
    Hello,

The verb 'practise' would be more appropriate?
    I practise swimming, judo, shooting, cyling....
    Chouquette.
    (English language is very interesting.)

The use of the word "do" is much the same as the French "faire", it's an all encompassing expression, commonly acceptable but not too accurate.

Chouquette

france french
    Hello,
    I often confuse with British English an American English, so 'to practice a sport'
    [...]

Last edited by a moderator:

funnyhat

American English
    "sport" (singular) is rarely used in English.

Cambridge gives an example of singular : "She used to do/play a lot of sport when she was younger."
    That's a British construction. In American English, it would be "sports."

Generally, you play a sport. You play baseball, basketball, soccer, football, hockey, tennis, golf, rugby, lacrosse . . . basically all team sports, and some individual ones. For some individual sports, there is a specific verb used, such as run, bicycle/ride, swim, etc.

In the case of martial arts, I guess practice is the term ("I practice karate"), although do is permissable ("I do karate"). But for the sports mentioned above, we never say do. You don't "do" basketball, you play it.

Chouquette

france french
    Hello
    If I had understood you Already Seen, in BE the noun is 'a practice' and the verb is 'to practise'.
    Is that right?
    Thank you in advance,:)
    Chouquette.

You mean practise is the British English spelling and practice is the American English spelling. (not the other way around) :confused:

pijapa

English & French
    Hi!
    "to practise/practice sport" is a typically French error because of the French expression "pratiquer un sport". It is absolutely not natural to use this verb with sport in English. A Native speaker would simply say "to do or play sport". As for "judo" you can say "to take judo lessons".

afbyorb

English
    According to my American Heritage Dictionary
    practice is both noun and verb - American
    practise is both noun and verb - Chiefly British

It's true we don't usually do basketball , we play it, but
    many of us do swim for exercise and there are others of us who do judo for the same reason.

hanbaked

English (UK)
    Just pointing out an error in spelling above - Practice is the noun, practise is the verb. In British English, we manage a practice (for example), but we practise dancing.

Note that you only practise something to get better, not to just say that that's what you're doing.

I used to do judo when I was a kid, so you can definitely 'do' it.

< Previous | Next >