Chinese
Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur.
Faites-lui réparer le télévieur.

Here, why it was "lui", I thought it is "le" as a direct object...:confused:

• sandera

Scottish/Glaswegian

Bonjour,
    I think "lui" is used here to mean "I will fix his/her television"

Only a guess...wait for others.
    S.

So that should be "I will get him to fix the T.V."?

Enitram

french France
    lui is the pronoun indirect object : the person who will fix the tv

Je ferai réparer le téléviseur is ok but you don't tell who will repare it.

Je ferai réparer le téléviseur par Jean

Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur

Martine

misadro

Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur ... either this is very ambiguous or all my french has deserted me .. doesn't it mean both .. i'll have him fix the tv .. (like in, je lui ferai comprendre) and .. i'll have the tv fixed for him ..

Enitram

french France
    Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur ... either this is very ambiguous or all my french has deserted me .. doesn't it mean both .. i'll have him fix the tv .. (like in, je lui ferai comprendre) and .. i'll have the tv fixed for him..
    I'll have the tw fixed for him : je lui ferai réparer son téléviseur.

Martine.

celine713

Chinese
    lui is the pronoun indirect object : the person who will fix the tv

Je ferai réparer le téléviseur is ok but you don't tell who will repare it.

Je ferai réparer le téléviseur par Jean

Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur

Martine
    Hi, If I have someone do something, this someone is a direct object, isnot it?That is why I am so confused, for if this is true, "lui" is impossible, but"le/la" seems acceptable...Maybe there is some key that is beyond me:(

Enitram

french France
    Hi, If I have someone do something, this someone is a direct object, isnot it?That is why I am so confused, for if this is true, "lui" is impossible, but"le/la" seems acceptable...Maybe there is some key that is beyond me:(
    If "someone" is the one who will do the job, he is not the direct object in french.

But Misadro is right, the sentence is ambiguous. Without any context you can't tell exactly if the TV will be repared by him or for him.

Enitram

Lezert

french, France
    a direct object answers the question qui? or quoi?
    here the direct object is TV:
    - réparer quoi? la TV
    - réparer par qui? par lui ( so lui is complémént d'objet indirect )

and to complete Enitram example :Je ferai réparer le téléviseur par Jean,
    we could say
    Je le lui ferai réparer : le => le téléviseur
    lui => Jean

misadro

oui enitram .. je lui (à luc) ferai comprendre que ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de ...

d'accord .. tempting the devil .. how about .. je lui (à luc) ferai réparer le poste télé par Jean et non (pas) par michel ..

Fred_C

Français
    Hi, If I have someone do something, this someone is a direct object, isnot it?
    Not in French, the phrase does not correspond word for word to the English phrase : It is "Faire réparer quelque chose à quelqu'un." "à quelqu'un" is an indirect object, so you must use "lui".

Enitram

french France
    oui enitram .. je lui (à luc) ferai comprendre que ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de ...

d'accord .. tempting the devil .. how about .. je lui (à luc) ferai réparer le poste télé par Jean et non (pas) par michel ..
    C'est là que moi je rajoute l'adjectif possessif pour qu'on comprenne bien que je fais réparere son poste pour lui.

Je lui fais réparer son poste (par x ou y) . Mais même dans cette phrase "je lui fais réparer son poste", lui peut désigner par qui ou pour qui

Martine.

geostan

English Canada

I just went through this in another thread. The combination of faire + infinitive acts like a single entity.
    As such, it may only accept one direct and one indirect object. Usually, if there is one object, it is direct. If there are two, the person is usually indirect and the thing direct.
    A direct object can also be a subordinate clause. This explains the sentence:
    "je lui (à luc) ferai comprendre que ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de ..."

The tricky part seems to be the meaning. When the objects are pronouns, despite the fact that a double meaning is possible, the context usually indicates which is meant.

The use of par is either to avoid possible ambiguity or because there is already an indirect object in the sentence.

Je fais expliquer le problème à l'élève. (I have the problem explained to the student.)
    If the student is supposed to do the explaining, one should say:
    Je fais expliquer le probleme par l'élève.
    Je me fais lire la lettre par mon neveu. (I have my nephew read me the letter.) Here, à mon neveu is not possible, because of ME, which is already an indirect object.

Cheers!

celine713

Chinese
    I just went through this in another thread. The combination of faire + infinitive acts like a single entity.
    As such, it may only accept one direct and one indirect object. Usually, if there is one object, it is direct. If there are two, the person is usually indirect and the thing direct.
    A direct object can also be a subordinate clause. This explains the sentence:
    "je lui (à luc) ferai comprendre que ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de ..."

The tricky part seems to be the meaning. When the objects are pronouns, despite the fact that a double meaning is possible, the context usually indicates which is meant.

The use of par is either to avoid possible ambiguity or because there is already an indirect object in the sentence.

Je fais expliquer le problème à l'élève. (I have the problem explained to the student.)
    If the student is supposed to do the explaining, one should say:
    Je fais expliquer le probleme par l'élève.
    Je me fais lire la lettre par mon neveu. (I have my nephew read me the letter.) Here, à mon neveu is not possible, because of ME, which is already an indirect object.

Cheers!
    Thank you all truely and deeply, I finally have a comparatively clear picture of the sentence pattern as such, however more exercises are still badly needed...:)

auggiedoggy

Canada/Speaks English
    Je lui ferai réparer le téléviseur ... either this is very ambiguous or all my french has deserted me .. doesn't it mean both .. i'll have him fix the tv .. (like in, je lui ferai comprendre) and .. i'll have the tv fixed for him ..
    I hear you.

My initial thought was that it meant "I will have him fix the television" with "lui", the indirect object pronoun, replacing the name of the person that will actually do the repairs.

AD

geostan

English Canada
    I hear you.

My initial thought was that it meant "I will have him fix the television" with "lui", the indirect object pronoun, replacing the name of the person that will actually do the repairs.

AD
    Yes, and always keep in mind that when you use a pronoun, you've already established the noun somewhere, so the context should make it clear which meaning is intended.

Cheers!

< Previous | Next >