Je ne sais pas ce qui se passe

• mybeau

France _ French
    marinesea said:
    merci bien :)
    i've got another question: why do they use "qui" here instead of "que"?
    thanks a lot :)
    Hi there,
    "qui" is used when referring to a subject,
    When you say:
    "Je ne sais pas ce qui se passe" you refer to the Il of "Il se passe quelquechose"

"que" is used when referring to a direct complement of object (C.O.D.).
    When you say:
    "Je ne sais pas ce que tu dis" you refer to the quelquechose of "Tu dis quelquechose"

Some French people (even sometimes radio or TV speakers, shame on 'em !) say "Je ne sais pas ce qu'il se passe". Which is wrong but shows well the reference to the subject Il !!!!

Hope this helps.

Andrei

Belarus, Russian
    Hi, Marinesea and everybody!
    I am not so sure that saying "Je ne sais pas ce qu'il se passe" is an error. In fact, this is the what they call "tournure impersonnelle" which very helpful when speaking French. You begin with "Il se passe des choses extraordinaires.." and so on. Don't you think so?
    Amities,
    Andrei

timpeac

English (England)
    Andrei said:
    Hi, Marinesea and everybody!
    I am not so sure that saying "Je ne sais pas ce qu'il se passe" is an error. In fact, this is the what they call "tournure impersonnelle" which very helpful when speaking French. You begin with "Il se passe des choses extraordinaires.." and so on. Don't you think so?
    Amities,
    Andrei
    Very interesting point Andrei. The "je ne sais pas ce qu'il se passe" certainly looks wrong somehow, and until you have your example that il se passe can take a direct object I would have thought it was wrong. Now I'm not certain at all.:confused:

Andrei

Belarus, Russian
    Be sure, it is very common for French-speaking people, and even if the academic grammar doesn't like very much such expressions, the language system is based on the speech. D'abord le discours et puis la langue! Or, like E.Benveniste said: "Il n'y a rien dans la langue qui ne soit passe par la parole". Sorry, don't know how to put "accents aigus", when typing here!:)

< Previous | Next >