Je vous en prie

toy

Thai Thailand
Hello,

I have a question about " Je vous en prie " .
This actually means " you are welcome " or something else as well.
when I help or do something for other people and they say " merci ".
Then if I want to say " no problem at all " and " not to worry ".
Can I still use " Je vous en prie " ?

thank you

• bernik

Brittany - french
    By the way, which is the best one in English ?
    - you are welcome
    - no problem at all
    - not to worry

J'aime bien "de rien" en français, parce que c'est passe-partout, ce n'est pas solennel, ça fait seulement 2 syllabes, on n'a pas l'impression de faire du chichi.
    Quelle est la formule la plus discrète en anglais ?
    est-ce qu'on peut dire cheers en réponse à thanks ?

anangelaway

French
    Pour moi Bernik, ''cheers'' et ''thanks'' sont identiques, ils veulent tous les deux dire ''merci''.
    You could answer ''my pleasure'', but it might be too ''chichi'' for you perhaps.
    Mais un native va te trouver la réponse parfaite, j'en suis sûre...;)

Starcreator

Canada, English
    Il vaut toujours mieux dire tout simplement "Thanks" normalement. "Cheers" on n'entend pas beaucoup au Canada ou aux E.U. No problem, no problem at all, not to worry, ces expressions sont un peu moins formelles. You're welcome, voilà l'expression le plus formelle et aussi le plus commune, et c'est très courante. Mais surtout ne t'en fais pas, aucune de ces expressions n'est si différente des autres :)

Curmud

U S A American
    There are many ways to respond to "thank you"
    The most commonly used is "you're welcome"
    Depending on the situation ceating the thanks, one might say " I am glad to have been of help"
    "My pleasure" is often used.
    "No problem" seems to be used more and more, but I've heard some complaints of people giving thanks that they do not regard this as proper.

Xavier11222

France French
    My personal favorite - "You got it!"

And yes, "yeah" exists, lately it even seems to be common among waiters. I also think it's a little strange. And rude (but then again often they think I won't tip them anyway because I'm French).

Zoisite

France
    Bonjour, je me demandais comment répondre "je vous en prie" / "ce n'est rien" à quelqu'un qui vous bouscule sans faire exprès, ou renverse quelque chose et qui s'excuse. Comment lui dire que ça n'est rien ? "It's okay ?" N'est-ce pas un peu familier ?

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Bonjour, je me demandais comment répondre "je vous en prie" / "ce n'est rien" à quelqu'un qui vous bouscule sans faire exprès, ou renverse quelque chose et qui s'excuse. Comment lui dire que ça n'est rien ? "It's okay ?" N'est-ce pas un peu familier ?
    If I get bumped by someone in the metro or on the bus my reply to an apology for it would indeed be, "It's OK", or possibly "Don't worry about it"

(It's not really a situation of much formality!)

LucFrederiq

English - North American
    "You're welcome" or "You're most welcome" (for emphasis and a little more friendly and less formal) are the most appropriate.

"My pleasure"' is not at all too formal but might more infer a sentiment of "favor or service done, favor recognized, and recognition appreciated" kind of sentiment; the favor does not have to be of a grand nature.

"No problem" is exactly opposite and might be interpreted as a response when a person has ben somewhat imposed upon and might have preferred not to have done the service. This is regrettably becoming all too common in use by the service industry, as is "Uh-huh".

hal 2001

Banned
    Russian - Russia
    I said, "Veuillez m'excuser." to someone for something I had done that offended him. He replied, "Je vous en prie." Would that translate as "You're welcome." or "No problem." or what?

Kelly B

USA English
    You're welcome doesn't really fit your context, as a reply to an apology, but a lot of the other expressions above would fit: No worries, no problem, that's quite all right, think nothing of it, etc.

hal 2001

Banned
    Russian - Russia
    Kelly B: My dictionary lists "Don't mention it." as a possible translation for "Je vous en prie", but none of the ones you suggested. Could you tell me where you got them? Thanks!

< Previous | Next >