Jeden & jedynka

mcibor

Hi all, I was looking on one thread about trams and wanted to use the name of number one, but not jeden, only jedynka / dwójka / trzydziestka

What is the part of speach for that?
I found
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liczebnik
but it's not there... yet

It's also not declination, cause jedynka is in nominative case

Anyone?

In English I cannot even specify the difference ;)

• arturolczykowski

Polish
    "Jedynka" (dwójka, trójka etc) is a noun (or substantive). I know that it is tricky sometimes but in Polish you can find nouns which are the names of activities - czytanie, mowa, reading, speech - characteristics, traits - biel, starość,the white, old age - or numbers - jedynka, the one or maybe better - number one - I don't know.

So, jedynka is a noun not a numeral.

mcibor

I thought so. But wanted to make sure. I was thinking there could be some special name for this part of speach, so thanks very much!

PS. This is my 100th post ;)

Duya

Whatever
    Hi all, I was looking on one thread about trams and wanted to use the name of number one, but not jeden, only jedynka / dwójka / trzydziestka

In English I cannot even specify the difference ;)
    A reasonable English example is deuce versus two, the former meaning "something numbered two". Although its usage is mostly limited to cards (and to number two only), I hope you get the idea. In other cases, English simply "nounizes" the number, e.g. the nine means (card, bus, whatever) number 9.

< Previous | Next >