Jeez, what a geek

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    ambar said:
    HI:

Can someone explain me what does jeez what a geek means, please??
    Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Jeez = comes for "Jesus Christ" and is equivalent to "Gosh," "Good Lord," etc. An expression of exasperation.

Geek = someone who is socially inept, bothersome, or otherwise lacking in terms of "normal" standards for behavior.

It's hard to explain the connotations of these two words; context would be helpful.

ambar

Spanish
    Thanks Elroy!!

Sorry there´s not context, it was a birthday card I´ve received and with your explanation now it´s very clear to me. I think it´s kind of sarcastic humor.

Sarcastic, it´s that ok??

QUIJOTE

USA
    Roi Marphille said:
    "geek" en castellano es algo parecido a "empollón" aunque no creo que tenga una traducción exacta.
    I've heard "cuatrojos" a lot. Another word is DORK is kind of on the same subject.

garryknight

UK, English
    Translation of Roi Marphille's post: "Geek" in Castilian (Spanish) is something like "empollón" although I don't think there is an exact translation.

Roi Marphille, this is the English Only forum so if you want to tell ambar what 'geek' means in Spanish, you should post it in English.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    ambar said:
    Thanks Elroy!!

Sorry there´s not context, it was a birthday card I´ve received and with your explanation now it´s very clear to me. I think it´s kind of sarcastic humor.

Sarcastic, it´s that ok??
    "Sarcastic humor" makes sense. I'm guessing your suspicions are correct since your friends probably don't really think you're a geek. :)

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    The origin of geek in 19th-century circus jargon is interesting. It used to be extremely negative, applied to anyone outside the circus, as did freak. It meant bizarrely and repulsively "different," like the kid who ate bugs and could belch out a melody and fart on command:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=geek

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    foxfirebrand said:
    The origin of geek in 19th-century circus jargon is interesting. It used to be extremely negative, applied to anyone outside the circus, as did freak. It meant bizarrely and repulsively "different," like the kid who ate bugs and could belch out a melody and fart on command.
    Me, Me, Me - not serious - but I lived next door to the kid who would eat worms on request:)

OED's earliest quote for geek in this sense is 1919, but it suggests a link back to geck (A fool, simpleton; one who is befooled or derided, a dupe) which has a much longer history, back to 1515!

< Previous | Next >