Jeremias (pronunciation)

EternoBGV

Thai
Hello again,

Another question about how to pronounce the name Jeremias as in Dutch: Are the two e's in this name pronounced the same or different? I've checked with a text-to-speech website, and, to my ears, the first e is pronounced /eː/ (like ee in the word zee), and the second e is a schwa sound /ə/. Is that correct?

Thank you for your help.

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Depends on who is saying it. You can hear both pronunciations and there is no such thing as the "correct" pronunciation for this particular case.

EternoBGV

Thai
    Depends on who is saying it. You can hear both pronunciations and there is no such thing as the "correct" pronunciation for this particular case.
    Thank you for your answer, Peterdg. So, this means that Jeremias is not a traditional Dutch name, isn't it?

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Thank you for your answer, Peterdg. So, this means that Jeremias is not a traditional Dutch name, isn't it?
    No, it is not. With that I mean that its origin is not Dutch. Some Dutch speaking people carry that name (although not many) but that doesn't mean anything about how it is pronounced.

< Previous | Next >