Jerky - jockey

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien-a

Italian
Hello!
Could someone help me with this?

Someone's referring to an Indian married couple with 7 children as a "Jerky-jockey" couple.
It's meant to be a joke, since they've been referring to other kind of couples in similar ways... but I cannot understand what they are trying to say with these two words...

Any help very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• ewie

English English
    Hello Alien-a. Would you please tell us: (a) Who is 'someone'? (b) When and where they are referring to the couple? (c) And why? (d) And exactly how they are doing it, i.e. the precise words they're using, in a sentence?
    Thanks.

Last edited:

Alien-a

Italian
    Sorry Ewie, I know it's not very clear...

There's the narrator who's introducing 3 different married couples as the main characters of the story, one couple is described as "Bible-thumper" (a reverend and his wife), the second is "Jerky-jockey" (this Indian couple with a lot of kids arguing over what kind of lullaby they should be playing to calm the kids) and the third one is described more extensively in a longer paragraph.

That's all... I know it's not much, and that's just my problem, I don't understand even the sense of what they want to say!

Sorry again for my being imprecise...
    Thanks

ewie

English English
    Well, the word jockey is sometimes used as a kind of suffix to mean 'person who does [whatever comes before the word jockey]', so a jerky-jockey would be someone who 'does jerky'. (I'm sure you've heard of disc jockeys.)
    It's possible (though I can't know for sure without reading the whole story) that the 'jerky' in question is a not-very-subtle way of referring to the 'jerky' motions of a couple engaged in sexual intercourse (and so producing a string of children).
    Or it could be something entirely different.
    Maybe they're involved in something really shocking, like the production of beef jerky:eek:

Alien-a

Italian
    Well... there's not much more to say... but I really think you are a genius!

It sounds very fitting to me! Of course I have heard of DJs, and I have even found the meaning of jockey as someone doing/using/playing the word that comes immediately before... but I honestly didn't even think about jerky as the movements made in a sexual intercourse. I didn't link the two terms in that way: I simply thought I was getting it wrong!!

Concerning the "whole story" part... this is just a small joke that doesn't have anything else with the rest of the story... that's also why I found it so difficult to understand!:D

Anyway... many many many thanks, you saved my day (or, better, my night!)
    :)

MichaelW

English (British)
    The line from the popular Dr Seuss song "You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch" about the Grinch, "you're a crooked jerky jockey and you drive a crooked hoss (horse)" seems to be nearly the only reference to "jerky jockey" on Google.

If that is what is referred to here, it is a nonsense-phrase. The Grinch is twisted and cantankerous, so as the couple are arguing over what lullaby to play to the children (!!), I would think it means that they are always arguing with and bickering at each other.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    The line from the popular Dr Seuss song "You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch" about the Grinch, "you're a crooked jerky jockey and you drive a crooked hoss (horse)" seems to be nearly the only reference to "jerky jockey" on Google.

If that is what is referred to here, it is a nonsense-phrase. The Grinch is twisted and cantankerous, so as the couple are arguing over what lullaby to play to the children (!!), I would think it means that they are always arguing with and bickering at each other.
    "Hmmmm," said Ewie doubtfully.

bhut

english
    I think jerky jockey is a racial slur referring to the stereotype that Indians all run convenience stores and convenience stores all sell beef jerky.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >