Jesus prized the law of love as the "so what" of all the rules of Israel's Law.

• may531028

Chinese
    Yes, the context of this sentence is: when Jesus was asked to sum up all the Law and the Prophets, he declared that all of them depend upon love of God and love of neighbor (Matt.22:35-40)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The use of "so what" in the sentence you presented does not sound natural to me and the intended meaning is not at all clear to me.

Even if it were understandable, it would still probably sound very informal.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    If I came across this sort of phrasing in some other context and were forced to interpret it, I'd think that "so what" would mean "the point" or "the reason why something is important." In other words, if somebody asks "so what," you provide, hopefully, a reason why what you're talking about is significant.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I agree with bibliolept that the sentence is odd and difficult to understand. Is it from a book? Was it written by a native speaker?

It is likely that the writer intended the meaning that biblio suggests but the sentence as written is far from clear.

EDIT: It appears that there is a catch phrase currently in academic use, "the so what question". From what I gather, this means "the implications". If that is your author's usage, the sentence makes perfect sense: he is saying that all the rules of Israel's Law implied the law of love.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >