Jesus wept

< Previous | Next >

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
Italiano
Stavo cercando una traduzione di questa espressione che, originariamente è appartenente al Vangelo di Giovanni, ma oggigiorno, secondo lo Urban Dictionary, viene usata come: “A rather sarcastic turn of phrase showing an unsympathetic attitude towards a person.”

- Some twat stole that garden my dad bought for a fiver.
- Oh how Jesus :warning:fucking wept.

Secondo Wiki la frase viene utilizzata come blanda imprecazione (lo deduco anche dal fatto che compare in alcuni racconti di Stephen King) e/o bestemmia mascherata:

“In some places in the English-speaking world, including Great Britain, Ireland (particularly Dublin and Belfast) and Australia, the phrase "Jesus wept" is a common expletive, curse or minced oath spoken when something goes wrong or to express mild incredulity.”

D’acchito ho pensato a qualcosa del tipo “‘Cristo!” o “Per Dio!”, ma in realtà queste espressioni mancano del tono sarcastico o di blanda incredulità associato a "Jesus wept", senza contare che non sono neanche bestemmie mascherate.

Qualche idea?;)

• King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Thank you Archilocus and AB for your input, though I think this is one of those cases where it's quite hard to find an equivalent able to capture all the nuances of the expression (see my OP). Also, AB’s comment raises another issue that further complicates things: contrary to what stated by Wiki, in some English-speaking countries (or regions) this expression is not seen as a ‘common expletive’ or used ‘to express mild incredulity’, but rather as full-blown blasphemy.
    The only conclusion I can safely draw from all of this is that there is not a one-size-fits-all translation, but different ones based on the intended meaning, which will also depend upon the region where this expression is used.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    To me it sounds like a rude blasphemy. I really have NEVER heard something like that in UK. Well, I am not used to see people who swear, I must admit. :p

Pietruzzo

Italian
    The only conclusion I can safely draw from all of this is that there is not a one-size-fits-all translation, but different ones based on the intended meaning, which will also depend upon the region where this expression is used.
    In this region they would say "Gesù Cristu ca nu'tte vide!" Try and guess what it means before the mods remove this post. Actually, I'd remove the whole thread because I think each hit gets you one year in Purgatory.:D

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    In this region they would say "Gesù Cristu ca nu'tte vide!" Try and guess what it means before the mods remove this post. Actually, I'd remove the whole thread because I think each hit gets you one year in Purgatory.:D
    Io ho sentito: "....ca nu'tte arde!".....forse è più forte della tua?

AlabamaBoy

American English
    ...in some English-speaking countries (or regions) this expression is not seen as a ‘common expletive’ or used ‘to express mild incredulity’, but rather as full-blown blasphemy.
    The only conclusion I can safely draw from all of this is that there is not a one-size-fits-all translation...
    I think this is a valid observation. You probably need to consider carefully who will be reading the translation, or who the intended audience of the original statement was. This is true for most of the things you find in the urban dictionary. Also be careful not to make the mistake that music or cinema accurately represents the English-speaking population as a whole. We are much more boring usually. :D

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    I think this is a valid observation. You probably need to consider carefully who will be reading the translation, or who the intended audience of the original statement was. This is true for most of the things you find in the urban dictionary. Also be careful not to make the mistake that music or cinema accurately represents the English-speaking population as a whole. We are much more boring usually. :D
    Hi Bill, actually I was relying more on the description by Wiki, which I deem more reliable than the UD (though admittedly not infallible) and gave no blasphemy warning. However, you have made a valid point and I agree that this is precisely the kind of expressions having 'handle with care' written all over them.
    For the record, this is the same discussion in the Spa-Eng forum. I read it before creating this thread, but, aside from mentioning the vulgarity of the expression, no English speaker in that thread equated the expression to blasphemy.
    The English-speaking world is really a vast sea.;)

< Previous | Next >