Jet Set (Lifestyle)

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This expression refers to wealthy and fashionable people who travel widely and frequently for pleasure. This lifestyle is unavailable to ordinary people because such a way of life is far too expensive for them. Here are some examples.

1. Dima likes Tanya very much, but she wants an oligarch who can afford her a jet-set lifestyle, so she pursues Yuri instead.
2. Lena and Sergei are far too poor to afford a jet-set lifestyle.
3. Are you looking for a jet-set lifestyle?

Как сказать по-русски?

• Rosett

Russian
    Стиль жизни ((узкого) круга) богатых путешественников.
    More idiomatic, but somewhat less specific: "сливки общества", "(узкий) круг избранных|(сверх)богатых", "бомонд" (borrowed from French.)

2. Лена и Сергей далеко не так богаты, чтобы принадлежать (к) сливкам общества|узкому кругу избранных.
    to belong to the jet set — принадлежать к сливкам общества
    Belong: перевод, произношение, транскрипция, примеры использования

Last edited:

Q-cumber

Стиль жизни ((узкого) круга) богатых путешественников.
    More idiomatic, but somewhat less specific: "сливки общества", "(узкий) круг избранных|(сверх)богатых", "бомонд"
    (borrowed from French.)

2. Лена и Сергей далеко не так богаты, чтобы принадлежать (к) сливкам общества|узкому кругу избранных.
    to belong to the jet set — принадлежать к сливкам общества
    Belong: перевод, произношение, транскрипция, примеры использования
    Тут речь всё же идёт о роскошном стиле жизни, а не о принадлежности к сливкам общества... (Jet-set lifestyle)

CrownDweller

Dutch - Netherlands
    Aren't those sentences just about a богатый образ жизни? "Jet-set" seems a bit of an antiquated term (Jacky Kennedy, Brigitte Bardo, Caroline of Monaco, Mick Jagger at the very latest), from a time when rich people would hop from party to party on a jet, and not even a private one yet. The expression lost its ring with the introduction of the wide-body I guess, when air travel became a mass commodity. It doesn't really have a modern-day equivalent even in English as far as I can tell, except for a plain "billionaire lifestyle" perhaps.

Rosett

Russian
    Aren't those sentences just about a богатый образ жизни? "Jet-set" seems a bit of an antiquated term (Jacky Kennedy, Brigitte Bardo, Caroline of Monaco, Mick Jagger at the very latest), from a time when rich people would hop from party to party on a jet, and not even a private one yet. The expression lost its ring with the introduction of the wide-body I guess, when air travel became a mass commodity. It doesn't really have a modern-day equivalent even in English as far as I can tell, except for a plain "billionaire lifestyle" perhaps.
    I agree that it would be better to say: "жить, как миллионеры/миллиардеры".
    2. Лена и Сергей далеко не так богаты, чтобы жить как долларовые миллионеры(|рублёвые миллиардеры).

CrownDweller

Dutch - Netherlands
    I agree that it would be better to say: "жить, как миллионеры/миллиардеры".
    2. Лена и Сергей далеко не так богаты, чтобы жить как долларовые миллионеры(|рублёвые миллиардеры).
    The phrase "lavish lifestyle" would fit well into the sentences above, just look at the images GGL returns on that one, it's precisely what the jet-set was all about: Bentleys, yachts, champagne etc. There has to be a Russian equivalent for that. I was thinking of пышный, but it doesn't seem to be used that much in this sense. "Роскошь" returns pretty much the same picture, "жизнь в роскоши" not so much for some reason, so I wouldn't know how to say it in Russian.

Rosett

Russian
    The phrase "lavish lifestyle" would fit well into the sentences above, just look at the images GGL returns on that one, it's precisely what the jet-set was all about: Bentleys, yachts, champagne etc. There has to be a Russian equivalent for that. I was thinking of пышный, but it doesn't seem to be used that much in this sense. "Роскошь" returns pretty much the same picture, "жизнь в роскоши" not so much for some reason, so I wouldn't know how to say it in Russian.
    Yes, you can day: "Жить роскошно/в роскоши", but this is just a wider definition not associated with world-wide travelling and is also kind of bookish.

Q-cumber

I'd translate the given phrase as "Лена и Сергей слишком бедны чтобы позволить себе образ / стиль жизни олигархов."

< Previous | Next >