jeter à la poubelle

Marcewa

France / French
Hello!

I have a problem with "throw" and "throw away".

- If I suggest someone to "jeter à la poubelle" something because it is too old or useless.

- If I say someone he must "jeter à la poubelle" vegetable peelings, in showing where the bin is located.

In both cases I would say "throw in the bin/garbage"?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

• la traductrice

"India - Tamil"
    Ex:

"This red shirt is too big for Dad.Throw it away,Mum!"

"George,I am cleaning the kitchen.Take all these peels and throw them into the dustbin."

xiancee

French
    Throw away = more general, no container, just get rid of it!
    Throw in the bin, the dustbin, the garbage can ... = container included!

nouvelleprof

English-USA
    Bonjour,

In the wordreference example for jeter à la poubelle, it says "J'ai jeté à la poubelle mes magazines." Is it necessary to follow that word order, or can you say "J'ai jeté mes magazines à la poubelle."

Merci

archijacq

french France
    "jeter à la poubelle" est une expression idiomatique qui signifie en anglais "to discard", "to throw away".
    -Elle s'utilise même s'il n'y a pas de "réelle" poubelle (il peut s'agir de sacs en plastique).
    -Elle peut s'utiliser au sens figuré : "jeter ses principes à la poubelle".
    -Le verbe jeter ne signifie pas dans cette expression "lancer", mais "mettre".

Dans l'exemple du pain au chocolat, le verbe "jeter" indique par contre l'action de "lancer" (throw into the breadbasket)

Locape

French
    'Jeter à la poubelle' is the idiomatic expression, like archijacq said, even without a container near by. 'Jeter dans la poubelle' refers to an actual trashcan.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Especially in the UK, "bin it." is the figurative meaning for "get rid of it/", "throw it away/out." With peelings, etc., you could specify the receptacle, but the context would probably be clear ('throw it away/out' meaning 'throw it in the garbage (can)/dustbin', not 'throw it out the window')". I think "toss it", though, would be unikely to be misunderstood, in the context.

Tchoubi

français
    Hello !

Si, pendant une séance de rangement, un enfant demande où mettre des restes de papier (parce qu'il ne sait pas s'ils vont au tri, dans le tiroir à feuilles de brouillon, si on veut les récupérer, etc.) et qu'on veut lui répondre : "mets-les à la poubelle !", peut-on lui répondre : "put them into the trash" ? Quel serait le plus idiomatique ?

Merci !

rrose17

Canada, English
    It really depends what part of the world in this context. I don't know what they say in Australia but in Canada we'd say "Put them in the garbage." (not into). In the U.S. I believe it would be "Put them in the trash." And in the UK it would probably be "Put them in the rubbish." If you're indicating more specifically you'd add "can" after garbage/trash and "bin" after rubbish. If I'm not mistaken...

franc 91

English - GB
    I'd say - Throw them in the bin - as well. There's also a slightly different answer - That goes in the bin, there - when they're not exactly sure where or into what the rubbish or peelings (not peels) is to be put.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    In AE a bin is a container for storing things, not throwing them out.
    3a_6_yNDU.jpg

If I put the tomatoes in the bin above, I am not throwing them out!

In AE dry things go in the trash (papers, broken items, non-recyclable packaging)
    ...and wet things go in the garbage. (spoiled food, wet papers, peelings, etc.)

(But that isn't a closely maintained difference by some.)

Last edited: