jeter des mots

kalys

France/français
I have a problem with this sentence: Je jetai des mots, au hasard: [...] Could you help me to translate it in English. I tried I casted words but it does not sound good...

• kalys

France/français
    Je ne suis pas sure car il y a une virgule après "mots". Ce n'est pas je jetai des mots au hasard mais je jetai des mots, au hasard: (et là, le narrateur dit: "venez avec nous")

kalys

France/français
    And what about "I threw out words, at random/by chance/at all hazards: 'Come with us.' " ?

Splink

Anglais/English
    It sounds funny to me, but I'm British and Wildan1 is American (i think). It might just be that i don't know it. A quick search in google reveals that the phrase has been used in a translation of Job18:2 by an Anglo-Irish writer. It probably is that i just don't know it, as such. It is perfectly comprehensible...

re: the comma and the adverb 'randomly'/adjective 'random' words or adverbial phrase 'at random' there isn't much difference to be honest

by chance and at all hazards don't work.

Splink

Anglais/English
    Very unusual but understandable! Makes me think of rappers who drop beats. It also makes the words sound heavy!!

< Previous | Next >