jeter une certaine lumière sur

Yulissa2

Russe (maternelle)
Hello. I am looking for an English equivalent for
"jeter une certaine lumière sur " in the context:
Les études de comparaison entre les langues indo-européennes permettent de jeter une certaine lumière sur la civilisation et les institutions des Indo-Européens.

My try:
Comparative studies of Indo-European languages cast some light on the civilization and the institutions of the Indo-Europeans.

Do I have to translate necessarily the verb "permettent" (by "let" for example)?

Thank you!

• Lotuselisa

Hello. I am looking for an English equivalent for
    "jeter une certaine lumière sur " in the context:
    Les études de comparaison entre les langues indo-européennes permettent de jeter une certaine lumière sur la civilisation et les institutions des Indo-Européens.

My try:
    Comparative studies between Indo-European languages throw some light on the civilization and the institutions of the Indo-Europeans.

Do I have to translate necessarily the verb "permettent" (by "let" for example)?

Thank you!

Yulissa2

Russe (maternelle)
    Thank you, Lotuselisa.
    Why "between'? I found that studies in plural are followed by 'of"... I am not sure though. How do you think: "études comparatives" and "études de comparaison" mean the same = comparatives studies?

bp13

English - United States
    Yulissa2, I think your original sentence was perfectly fine.

In American English, we say comparative studies of

cast some light, or shed some light are both good choices.

throw some light is also fine, but it sounds a bit informal to me in this context.

You need not add a word that corresponds to permettent.

Yulissa2

Russe (maternelle)
    bp13, thank you very much for your explanation.
    Well, English is not my mother tongue and I hardly can distinguish "cast some light" from "throw some light"... If you are saying that "thow" is a little bit informal, I'll chose "cast", because I am translating a scientific text, so there is no place for informal phrases...

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I agree with bp 13, although it is not wrong to add between

- Etude de comparaison entre = study of comparison /comparison study between
    - Étude comparative des = comparative study of

If you want to translate permettent, to make it closer to the original, then I'd say "help shed some light".

I have a slight preference for "shed"... but I'm not sure why.

< Previous | Next >