Jew's blood / Jewish ancestry

Daffodil100

Chinese
A lady told me that 'Jew blood' is offensive.

Can you tell me why it is offensive?

Last edited:
  • abenr

English, USA
    I once in another forum said 'Jewish people' but a lady told me that 'Jewish people' is offensive and she suggested me to use Hebrews.

Can you tell me why it is pejorative? Is Jew also a pejorative word?
    We need more context to assist you, Daffodil. As a Jew myself, I would find being called a Hebrew offensive.

Cheers,
    Abenr

gasman

Canada, English
    I would never think of ever referring to myself as anything but as a Jew. That term does not necessarily infer a religion, or lack of one, but it does mean that my forebears from time immemorial were Jews. Never Hebrews in today's language usage, in a similar way that people are Scots, French, or what have you, and they have their ancestry to prove it.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Sorry, I memorised the her words wrong. Here's her reply. So why can't I use 'Jew' as an adjective?

If you don't mind a side comment, you used the phrase "if the babe doesn't has Jew's blood"

Aside from the grammar (doesn't have, not doesn't has), better phrasing would be "if the baby doesn't have Jewish ancestry."

"Jew" as an adjective is offensive, and "a Jew's blood" is just not very polite-sounding phrasing.

(Also as a side note, my older daughter has a very "Herbrew" sounding name (Rebecca Judith) while my younger one has a Greek name. In the US, we pick names we think sound pretty, without a lot of worry about their origins.)

Trisia

Romanian
    I think that changes things a bit, Daffodil (which is why I modified the title of your thread).

To my mind, the lady is right: "Jew's blood" does not sound polite. Maybe, just maybe, you could go for "Jewish blood" -- though "Jewish ancestry" is better by far.

This is simply my opinion, as someone without Jewish ancestry (but whose country does have a history of anti-Semitic behaviour):
    A Jew -- as a noun, is acceptable to me. Jew as an adjective does sound offensive, while having Jew's blood sounds downright Nazi.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    I think that changes things a bit, Daffodil (which is why I modified the title of your thread).

To my mind, the lady is right: "Jew's blood" does not sound polite. Maybe, just maybe, you could go for "Jewish blood" -- though "Jewish ancestry" is better by far.

This is simply my opinion, as someone without Jewish ancestry (but whose country does have a history of anti-Semitic behaviour):
    A Jew -- as a noun, is acceptable to me. Jew as an adjective does sound offensive, while having Jew's blood sounds downright Nazi.
    Thank you for your modification and answer, Trisha. I am sorry I memorised her words wrong because it was months ago.

And thank you to everyone.

< Previous | Next >